Garmin Nuvi 2589 LMT - Can't load maps

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by jess888, Nov 20, 2021.

1. jess888

jess888

I updated my maps a few months back and Voice Command > Find Address stopped working.
    Error says "This feature is not available for American English"

Since then, I can't get any maps to load except for CN North American NT 2022.20 Foursquare, which doesn't do me any good.
    I have tried Change Map, Reinstall Map, changing cables, installing an SD card.

Garmin Express says that the map loaded on the device is City Navigator US & Canada 2022.25. Software version 8.80.
    Unit itself says CN North American NT 2022.20 Foursquare.

When I spoke to Garmin, they said the device itself is the problem.

Sigh.

Thank you in advance for your help.

jess888, Nov 20, 2021
  2. jess888

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When using Garmin Express there is an option to download maps to computer only, your computer obviously has a lot more storage than the 2589 has, after download to the computer it is possible to view the new map using Garmin Basecamp, Basecamp has a 'Map Install' feature that can show you what is currently installed on the 2589 and how much free space it has, it will also allow you direct a downloaded map to internal memory or microSD card (recommended) and allow you to select a smaller area of map to download if available storage is limited

Foursquare is an add-on database that contains POIs (Points Of Interest), it isn't the map iteself

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 21, 2021
  3. jess888

jess888

Okay, I tried reinstalling the map via Basecamp. I did not see Map Install but I reinstalled via Garmin WebUpdater and that did not solve my problem.

No matter how I install it, the SD card shows the maps but they don't show up in MyMaps and they don't work with the device. I have tried reformatting the SD card and reinstalling too. Only Foursquare shows up under MyMaps.

jess888, Nov 23, 2021
  4. jess888

zuvicon

To properly work, the VOICE command need the full North American map, CN North American NT, with includes Canada & Mexico. The 2022.20 map doesn't fit on must units and usually has to be installed on SD. Your 1st post suggest you had the partial NA map. When map doesn't appear in MY MAPS, it means the unit displays WORLD BASEMAP, and won't show detailed street level maps, so I think getting the full NT map installed is the issue. Garmin Express usually gives the option of installing to the SD card if it has room. If you re-install map, it will probably install the partial one, and you need the full map for the voice command. If you can't get the option to install full maps to SD, maybe capacity issue, and trying a different card may help.

zuvicon, Nov 23, 2021
  5. jess888

jess888

Thank you, people. It turned out that the new SD card I bought was not working. Another new one did the trick. I appreciate the help!!!

jess888, Nov 29, 2021
  6. jess888

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In Basecamp look for Maps >> Install Maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 29, 2021
Ask a Question