Garmin Nuvi 2597 charging.

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Elizabeth Roberts, May 6, 2017.

1. Elizabeth Roberts

Elizabeth Roberts

When using the charging cable provided with my Garmin Nuvi 2597 I can only charge using the USB on my pc which takes an absolute age and is inconvenient because I often need to use both the USB outlets on my PC at the same time for other things. When I use an Apple plus with a USB outlet a message pops up to say that "this cable will not charge your Garmin, please use a Garmin cable" BUT I am using a Garmin cable!!! What is the problem and what can I do about it? Please simple language because Im not much of a techy.

Elizabeth Roberts, May 6, 2017
  2. Elizabeth Roberts

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

USB outlets all supply 5 Volts, but they can supply different amounts of current (power), your unit requires at least 1 Amp current rating to charge quickly, the "Will not charge" message is saying there is only enough power to supply the Nuvi screen but not to charge the battery as well.

Some USB chargers and USB outlets on computers only supply 300mA (one third of an Amp), if you buy an AC to USB charger it should say 1A (1 Amp) or more to charge the Nuvi quicker, you may already have a suitable AC to USB charger, they are supplied with digital cameras, cell phones etc.

Nuvi-Nebie, May 6, 2017
Ask a Question