Garmin Nuvi 2597 LMT will not connect/update on Garmin Express

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by bobinyelm, Sep 4, 2022.

1. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

I just acquired a used Nuvi 2597 and plugging it into my computer via a genuine Garmin USB Cable, the unit starts like it ready to use to navigate, and NOT like it is in the "Program Updates" mode.

To make sure my cable was good, I plugged in two other Garmin GPS units and they went straight to Update Mode and Garmin Express recognized them right away.

I did the "Add a Device" tab in Garmin Express and it could not find the 2597, and the GPS screen remained in the navigation page as if it was just plugged into my car cable and car.

At the moment I am updating one of my Nuvi units (an old Nuvi 1300) since the 2597 won't talk to my computer. It is working perfectly.

Is there anything I can do, or is it likely a "bad" 2597 unit I acquired? It operates fine as a navigation device. Navigates, charges, and so forth, but just will not go into he data mode when connected to my computer.

And, YES I did try another Garmin data cable (and BOTH cables work w/ my other Nuvi units and the same computer).

Thanks,
    Bob

bobinyelm, Sep 4, 2022
  2. bobinyelm

henry34653

Uninstall and reinstall the Garmin USB drivers.

henry34653, Sep 4, 2022
  3. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

I got a note that there was a new update for my Garmin Express so I downloaded and installed the new software to my computer (Win 7).

Does that update the drivers you mention?

If not, where do I get the drivers and if it's not terribly technical, how do I install THEM?

Thanks-
    Bob

bobinyelm, Sep 4, 2022
  4. bobinyelm

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The USB drivers will be included in the Garmin Express package

It is possible that there is a faulty data connector in your 2597, there are 4/5 wires in the connector 2 for power and 2/3 for data transfer, if one of the data transfer pins is not making contact then the computer won't 'see' the 2597 and the 2597 won't 'see' the computer so it thinks it is connected to a power only USB socket and continues to navigate rather than go into data transfer mode

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2022
  5. bobinyelm

henry34653

henry34653, Sep 5, 2022
  6. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

I kind of wondered about something like that. I tried wiggling the connector where it plugs into the Nuvi. but the screen never "flashed" as if a connection was being made and broken.

Maybe an internal break?

I DID uninstall the Gramin Express program and reinstalled it. No difference, and when connected it immediately goes to the same screen you get when you plug it into the vehicle, ready to navigate.

bobinyelm, Sep 5, 2022
  7. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

I also tried it on a Windows 10 computer- SAME

So I uninstalled Garmin Express but when I reinstalled it, THAT program will not open! It gets to the screen that shows the Globe and logo "Garmin Express" about 1" X 3" but it never fully opens and the box just stays there.

I have NO IDEA how to make my Win 10 machine functional with Garmin Express now! :(

bobinyelm, Sep 5, 2022
  8. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

Next mystery...

I deleted/reinstalled Garmin Express 4 times on my Win 10 machine when it would not completely install, but the 4th time was the trick, and FINALLY it installed properly.

To test the program and cable I plugged in my old Nuvi 1490 and it asked for a 5gb Micro or larger chip (previously a 2gb was enough), and the alternative was to choose a limited geographic area of maps to include.

When I clicked this option, the ONLY choice was to load Canadian maps and some US borderline states, and Alaska, and not the usual East/West map selection I've seen before.

Canada was the only option? Is even the East or West update now SO big the OEM memory and installed 2gb memory device were not enough for either side of the US, or is my program somehow favoring Canada as my "location?" Interesting.

Strange, but the Win 10 machine DOES work, but alas, the Nuvi 2597 STILL boots as a navigation device and not for loading new software and maps. I guess my unit is defective at this point. :(

Thanks for suggestions...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    bobinyelm, Sep 5, 2022
Ask a Question