Garmin nuvi 2597LMT Won't Update

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by RalphnJoAnn, Nov 11, 2018.

1. RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn

When I plug the Garmin into the computer, it doesn't go into upgrade mode. The screen freezes and darkens slightly and that's it. I am using the correct cable, and Garmin Express recognizes it, but any attempt to upgrade fails. The problem seems to have started after I replaced the battery. Any thoughts?

RalphnJoAnn, Nov 11, 2018
  2. RalphnJoAnn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The screen on your 2597 is displaying what you should expect when plugged into a computer, the upgrade is carried out from the computer screen, not the Nuvi.

express.jpg

Do you get a computer screen similar to the one above when the 2597 is connected ?, The green 'dot' shows that the Nuvi has been detected by your computer

express2.jpg

Clicking on the Nuvi icon in the first picture will display the screen above

express3.jpg

And clicking on Install in the second picture will display a screen similar to the one above

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 12, 2018
  3. RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn

When I first plug the Garmin into the computer, the line that used to go from left to right doesn't happen anymore. Instead, the screen darkens slightly and nothing else happens. Garmen Express does recognize it and tells me updates are available. When I try to install the update(s), I get a message that the update failed.

RalphnJoAnn, Nov 12, 2018
  4. RalphnJoAnn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Q1 :- Do you get the green 'dot' shown in the first picture above above ?
    Q2:- Do you get the 'green dot' + 'Connected' in the second picture above ?
    Q3 :- Do you get an 'Install' icon as shown in the second picture above ?
    Q4:- Do you get a progress bar as shown in the third picture above?
    Q5:- If Q4 = Yes, do you get Preparing = OK, Sofware = OK or other messages?

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 12, 2018
  5. RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn

Q1:-Yes
    Q2:-Yes
    Q3:-Yes
    Q4:-Yes Is shows briefly, then it goes back to the Install Screen. Now there is a red bar above the Updates Available caption which shows. "There was an error in installing the update."

RalphnJoAnn, Nov 12, 2018
  6. RalphnJoAnn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As the first part of the process is 'preparing' files for download, I am wondering if the problem is with the computer, I would try to use Garmin Express on a different computer if possible, just to eliminate any possible computer problem

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 13, 2018
  7. RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn

I don't have another computer, but I do have an older Nuvi. It has no problem with updating. I think the problem is with the unit. The older Nuvi has the line that fills in across in from left to right across the screen when it's plugged into the computer. The new one used to, but no more. I've tried swapping Garmin cables, but that does no good. The change occurred after, for the first time, I changed the battery, but I don't know if this is what caused the problem.

RalphnJoAnn, Nov 14, 2018
  8. RalphnJoAnn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK. if it isn't the computer, something must have changed with the 2597, I can't see a connection between replacing the battery and your problem, although the unit should run (with external power), when the battery is disconnected, so you could try that as a last resort.

First I would try connecting your 2597 to the computer running Garmin Basecamp, go to Maps >> Install Maps >> Customize and you should see something like this :-

basecamp.jpg Click on image to view

It will show you what Basecamp can see on your 2597, in both internal and microSD memory, it may be that your unit has insufficient memory to take the upgrade, have you removed a microSD card (during the battery replacement) and forgot to put it back?

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 15, 2018
  9. RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. The computer has been down, but it turns out that the problem was with the computer itself. The Fall Creator's update did not go well and I had to do a complete reinstall. I also had to download and reinstall install Garmin Express. I gave it another try, and everything worked as it was supposed to. Thanks for the suggestions.

RalphnJoAnn, Dec 3, 2018
  10. RalphnJoAnn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Glad you got it sorted.

I had to Google the "The Fall Creator's update", to reveal it is a Windows 10 software upgrade dated Fall (autumn) 2017

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 3, 2018
  11. RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn, Dec 3, 2018
  12. RalphnJoAnn

RalphnJoAnn

My bad. It was the October update for this year which was delayed due to problems. I waited over a month, then downloaded and installed it manually.

RalphnJoAnn, Dec 3, 2018
Ask a Question