Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by saugen48, Jan 9, 2015.

1. saugen48

saugen48

Recently got one of these and it comes with a trickle charger via computer or the 12V cigarette lighter for the car...I have done a bit of a search online but am unable to find a A/C adapter for this model...Is there one available...tks

saugen48, Jan 9, 2015
  2. saugen48

Nevw

I just plug my nuvi 760 into the computer using the usb cable and it charges fine and i assume your would be the same, though perhaps you wish instead to charge directly from a power point without having to run a pc too. Mine seems to also charge from one of those usb ports you can get on some plugs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Nevw, Jan 12, 2015
  3. saugen48

saugen48

Garmin 2597

As I mentioned above, mine came with a USB charger, ( via computer) but its only a trickle charge and takes up to 8 hrs for a full charge...that is why I wanted an ac adapter as they only take about an hour or less to full charge..I have seen those ac plugs with usb ports..is that the rapid charge then like with any ac adapter or does it still take 8 hrs for a full charge..dont want to pick on of them up if its the same rate of charge as a usb port on the computer

saugen48, Jan 12, 2015
  4. saugen48

Nevw

Sorry, i was careless in reading your post... The usb via a power plug is also a trickle charge.
    This link from garmin which you have probably read
    support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Bc34e3680-f9d7-11dc-4492-000000000000%7D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Nevw, Jan 12, 2015
  5. saugen48

Nevw

This one from garmin says it suits yours under the 'compatible devices' tag at the bottom.
    buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by-accesories/adapters/ac-adapter-cable-kit/prod67647.html
    You could ask garmin what rate they charge at in comparison to the trickle charge methods.

There are a few on ebay too.

Nevw, Jan 12, 2015
  6. saugen48

Kevin.Hutch

I too have a similar problem with the 2797, it seems there are multiple USB charging regimes and the adapters come in 1 and 2 amp versions to suit the trickle and fast charging requirements, however there is an upgrade in the plugs from USB 2 to 3 (the blue vs white ones) as well. The 2797 also has mini USB on the mount but micro USB on the case so it's great to have standards, there are so many to chose from.

I haven't nailed it yet but my 2797 says about my standard USB 2 cables "The attached power cable cannot charge your device. Use the one that came with your device."

The supplied cable is certainly heavier but I have it semi permanently installed in my motorhome so I do not wish to remove it.

Somehow the GPS runs on the PC's USB supply, though not exactly friendly to use connected to the PC and does not charge.

So don't get fooled into a USB adapter/charger without addressing the cable two.

Kevin H

Kevin.Hutch, Jan 13, 2015
  7. saugen48

saugen48

Garmin 2597

Thanks, still would like to know if anyone found one...any idea what voltage it would take via a ac adapter...what would be the max....5 volts?? or too much...

saugen48, Jan 14, 2015
  8. saugen48

Kevin.Hutch

Don't get confused with voltage and current; USB is 5 volts and it seems the logic in the GPS can tell what the source can deliver in terms of current.

I just tried four 240/5v USB chargers and one (500mA) no go, a (600mA) no go, a (700mA) no go and the 2A works, showing a strong charge current of 400mA+ with the battery rising from 3.4v. Vmax shows as 4.21V so I will leave a few hours to see what the charge voltage/current rate does.

It seems it is the power source, not the cable is the issue, just how it determines that is a mystery. I even changed to a cheap multiplug cable and the rate kept up.

I have 1A and 2A 12v adapters but I haven't expanded my experiment to the as the Garmin car adapter also has the traffic receiver in it.

If we could find an interpretation for the first diagnostic screen figures "I Limit USB" (1300mA), "I Limit EXT" (500mA) maybe we could comprehend the issue.

I would be looking for a quality charger/cable with 2A capacity such as you would find for tablets or smart phones or just accept that the Garmin genuine is the go.

Kevin H.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Kevin.Hutch, Jan 14, 2015
  9. saugen48

saugen48

Tks Kevin, appreciate any more insight you may discover...

saugen48, Jan 14, 2015
  10. saugen48

Kevin.Hutch

My wife's Galaxy tablet charger works a treat and I nailed my issue to the mounting unit that fits between the screen mount and the GPS. Not before returning the unit to the Garmin dealer, they lost it so replaced it with a new one then Garmin returned a refurbished one saying the unit had proved faulty. I the paid half price for the refurbished, yes now have two, and the fault still remained so by swapping out piece by piece I nailed the mount as faulty and they replaced it.

What I learnt is;
    1. how to view the charge rate (top right screen just hold until the diagnostic screen appears).
    2. fast charging is best done with the genuine 12v expensive to replace adapter or a tablet charger or at home not just any USB adapter.
    3. It will work from either the mini USB or micro USB socket and charge from either.
    4. If you want to use it at home buy a cheap charge only USB cable and it doesn't think you want to talk to the computer.

Kevin H

Kevin.Hutch, Mar 10, 2015
Ask a Question