Garmin nuvi 50LM

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by peter, Jan 26, 2017.

1. peter

peter

Hello Peter here, just signed up here as I have found trying to get information directly from Garmin is not so easy. I bought the nuvi 50LM in Brazil but have now moved to Canada and will never be taking it back to Brazil again. I have done a bit of research on my question. Can I delete the Original Brazilian map/s and start fresh with a Canadian map? What Garmin has told me and reading a bit about it. It is recommended that I leave the original map/s that was/were loaded and get an SD memory card to store any additional maps that I would like to use. Is this the only procedure that I can/should follow?
    I have found that when I hook the unit up to my computer and have express open, it automatically updates the Brazilian maps, which I will never use again. I think I did read something about the original maps have other needed info that was loaded in order for the GPS unit to function properly. Is that also correct? If what I would like is possible (wipe it clean and start fresh with a Canadian map} How would I go about doing that? Thank you, to any or all of you, who are willing to respond to my query.
    peter

peter, Jan 26, 2017
  2. peter

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As an end user you really only have the option to add maps rather than replace them, this isn't really a problem, as the only cost is for the microSD card, (which is nothing compared to the cost of additional Garmin maps), some Garmin maps are supplied on microSD cards anyway, so there would be no extra cost, you could also try out the free OSM maps (DETAILS HERE), you would only need a cheap microSD card say 4GB

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 27, 2017
Ask a Question