Garmin Nuvi 760 satellites problem

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by nemesi373, Sep 2, 2015.

1. nemesi373

nemesi373

Hi everybody,

hope you will be able to help me.
    I recently change car (2nd hand), and inside I found the Garmin Nuvi 760. It has very low battery capability but this is not an issue, since I can easily replace it.
    The real problem is that it has never acquired any satellite.
    Initially was stuck on a strange location...so first thing I did a reset (the one that require to hold the low-right corner and then slido the power button) and after that I update the software through the GarminExpress software on my PC. The firmware verion is now the 5.4 and is the last for this kind of gps.
    This morning driving slowly around I was on the almanac screen and I sow it was able to find something, like 1 or 2 or 5 satellites (aren't they those figure on the left of the screen that become green?) with every king of strength (low, or medium-high), but it wasn't able to stay connected more than few seconds.
    After that I drove to the mountains using the highway (130km/h here in Italy) and I left the Garmin on that same screen (the almanac one) for the whole trip (1 hour and 45 minutes)...and it didn't show anything at all.
    I don't know what to do to solve the problem.
    I suppose the Garmin was turned off for a while before a power it on few days ago...but it's strange it takes so much time to acquire any kind of signal, isn't it?

nemesi373, Sep 2, 2015
  2. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

39868.png

This is the satellite screen from the Nuvi56, it is using 8 satellites to determine it's position, number 9 still has incomplete data and can't be used until it goes fully blue, you need to park the car (not moving) with the Nuvi powered via USB somewhere that has an uninterrupted view of the sky (a mountain area is good). If you can set the time and date manually on the Nuvi this will help, leave the Nuvi in this position for as long as possible. With very old sat-navs this would take sometimes 45 - 60 Minutes, however the Nuvi 760 should not take more than 10 Minutes, if it take longer than this, I'm guessing the unit is faulty, possibly its internal time keeping is way out

If this does not work, you could look at the screen below, viewed by touch + holding the Battery icon for 6 seconds, items of interest are Freq, AGC, Batt Voltage etc.

batt.png

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 3, 2015
  3. nemesi373

nemesi373

yesterday night i put the garmin, linked to the pc, on the window sill and after 2/3 hours...5/7 satellites have located the garmin. I was able to locate the garmin on the map and in the setting menù, the sub-menù saying "where am I?" was working and locating the right place.
    So the antenna seems to work, but still, seems to be really really slow.
    So on the battery menù, items like Freq, AGC, batt voltage etc have an average value or a minimum one that indicates the device is not broken?
    It could be that the battery is too weak to make the antenna work properly?

nemesi373, Sep 3, 2015
  4. nemesi373

nemesi373

this is mine 20150903_225224.jpg

today the Time indicated is wrong, while yesterday night was correct. I can't get what the problem is

nemesi373, Sep 3, 2015
  5. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

After the Sat-Nav has successfully got a satellite fix, it will store an almanac (knowledge of satellite positions) and also the exact time, this will allow it to get a fix very much quicker next time, however this info. may need the battery to be in good condition to hold a charge because the unit is always running even when turned off. I think the time was correct only when it had a satellite fix and it lost the correct time when it was disconnected from a USB power supply, you could try getting a 'fix' while connected to a USB power supply, then turn the Nuvi off, BUT leave it connected to the USB supply over night, if the Nuvi has the correct time in the morning, it will prove that the problem is the battery and a replacement battery should fix your problem. By the way the USB supply you are using is not powerful enough to power the Nuvi and charge the battery at the same time, you need one that displays 'I Limit 1300mA' not 500mA

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 3, 2015
  6. nemesi373

nemesi373

the battery could easily be my problem.
    I need to find a way to connect the Nuvi through the USB without seeing the Nuvi-PC link screen. There is anyway I can do this? Even if I connect the garmin to the usb charger of my smartphone, that screen comes out preventing me from using the garmin...
    the picture was taken while the garmin was on its battery

nemesi373, Sep 3, 2015
  7. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes this is very annoying, some older models of Garmin GPS / Sat-Navs have a pop-up screen that allows connection to a computer or take power only but the newer Nuvis (including my Nuvi56LM) don't have this option. There are three possible causes for this to happen.

1) The power output of the charger will make the Nuvi act differently, if the power output is low, e.g. 500mA the unit will charge only and won't allow navigation because there is not enough power to do both. If you use a higher power charger e.g. 1Amp (1000mA) or higher the Nuvi will allow charging and navigation at the same time

2) If the Nuvi is plugged into a computer, the Nuvi 'sees' both power AND data from the computer and goes into data mode e.g. no navigation

3) The USB cable used to connect the Nuvi has 5 connectors at the Nuvi end and 4 connectors at the other end, Garmin uses pin 4 to tell some units which mode to be in i.e.

USB plug pin1 . . . Nuvi pin 1 +5V 5 volts DC
    USB plug pin2 . . . Nuvi pin 2 data
    USB plug pin3 . . . Nuvi pin 3 data
    no connection . . . Nuvi pin 4 ID connector
    USB plug pin4 . . . Nuvi pin 5 GND ground

The Nuvi always uses pins 1 and 5 to get power

If pin 2 and 3 have data on them, the Nuvi goes into computer mode, no navigation possible

If pin 4 is not connected to anything, the Nuvi (sometimes) goes into computer mode, no navigation possible

If pin 4 is connected to pin 5 then navigation is possible (but it may not charge battery unless unit is turned off)

The easiest way to get it working is to use a more powerful charger, but some Nuvis may also need pin 4 connected to pin 5, my Nuvi56 doesn't seem to need anything doing to pin 4

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 4, 2015
  8. nemesi373

nemesi373

Wow. You really know these things!
    Anyway, yesterday I downgraded the garmin to version 4.8, just to try, but it didn't work. It wasn't able to find any kind of satellite signal, but I was still stuck with the problem about giving power to the garmin through the usb cable.
    Today I re-update it at the firmaware 5.4 (the last one), and casually I found a way to give power to the sat using the usb cable on the pc: uninstall the drivers, use the windows' wizard to unplug correctly an usb device then put the power button of the navi on "hold" (or lock) and then put the pc in stand-by. In this way the sat reboots, using the usb power avoiding the Pc-sat link screen to appear, leaving me the possibility to use it even though it hasn't any battery capability.
    At this point is on the window sill since the last 3 hours but still...none sat signal and the clock is still on the wrong time. Hope it will find something during the afternoon.
    Also I ordered today a new battery on amzn. For 11 euros I thought it could be good to give it a try. I did it because I can see the almanac screen change the location of the satelites inside the two circles...this should mean that the navi is working and trying to find the correct location.

nemesi373, Sep 4, 2015
  9. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, it is sometimes possible to 'Eject' or 'Allow to Remove Safely' a USB device, unfortunately Windows 8.1 checks what kind of device is attached so it will allow an 'Eject' for a USB Flash drive but won't allow 'Eject' for a Nuvi because it recognises that it is an MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) device. I think the internal oscillator on your Nuvi has drifted (either too fast or too slow), when the Nuvi gets a 'fix' it will compare it's clock speed with the satellite's clock and stores a correction value telling the internal clock to speed up for example, this correction value is used next time when it tries to find satellites, which makes it much quicker, however, the unit looses this correction value when all power is lost. The window sill is not a good place to get a 'fix' because 50% or more of the satellites are out of view, if you can power the Nuvi via a USB power pack and take the unit outside it will be quicker

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 4, 2015
  10. nemesi373

nemesi373

This is the best I can do...ha ha ha ha.
    yesterday during all the day it wasn't able to gain any satellite, but it was on the window sill. Now, I hope doing like this it will work better.
    Do you think the new battery will improve this situation?
    The oscillator can be fixed manually or it will do everything automatically?

Thank you for the support anyway!

Attached Files:

nemesi373, Sep 5, 2015
  11. nemesi373

nemesi373

After 30-40 minutes in this way it was able to find 5 satellite signals, the cprrect location and set the right time, but after few seconds in my hands (without moving or unplugging it) it lost signal and few minutes later still nothing. It's a really strange behaviour.
    Seems like the battery isn't able to give it enough power for satellite research, and software management at the same time and probably is the same using the trick with the usb charger.

nemesi373, Sep 5, 2015
  12. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The method in your picture is obviously much better for receiving satellite data. If the problem is oscillator frequency offset, I would expect the problem to correct itself automatically once a satellite 'fix' is obtained, however I would expect that almanac data, correct time, frequency offset etc. should be retained while the unit is connected to a good power supply, so that a new 'fix' should be much quicker. It is possible that the battery is still affecting the unit when connected to USB power. From you picture in #4 there are a few concerns:-

1) the Ram Test / Rom Test should be saying 'Ready'
    2) The 'Volts' when fully charged (Batt capacity = 100%) and on USB power should be above 4.00

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2015
  13. nemesi373

nemesi373

Yes...i took the picture too early and the test wasn't complete. For the battery results I would wait till it will be changed.
    Now is off and I will turn it on only tonight during the car trip toward home...using the much powerful car-charger.

Attached Files:

nemesi373, Sep 5, 2015
  14. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, those results look good now, the only confusing thing is that 'I Limit' is unusual, here is what I would expect when unit is powered from the Battery and USB power :-

Item . . . . . . . . . . . . . . On Battery . . . . . . . On USB Power

Batt.Capacity . . . . . . . . 1 - 100% . . . . . . . . . . ------------
    Battery . . . . . . . . . . . . . OK Cap . . . . . . . . . . Charging / Charge Done
    USB Device . . . . . . . . .No Cable Detected . . . Power Cable
    I Limit . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Suspend . . . . . . . . . 500mA / 1300mA

The 'I limit' reading suggests the unit is powered from USB, but the other 3 suggest the unit is powered from battery

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2015
  15. nemesi373

nemesi373

I don't know what "I limit" means, but anyway, both picture were taken with the navi powered only by the battery because I cannot open that status screen while the navi is connected through the usb...it does not appear!

nemesi373, Sep 5, 2015
  16. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The I Limit stands for Current Limit, it tells you how much power is being received from the USB connector, 500mA = half an Amp, about how much the unit needs to charge the battery when the unit is switched off, the 1300mA (1.3 Amps) is how much the Nuvi requires when is charging the battery and powering the Sat-Nav at the same time, It is probably not a problem. The special USB cable that is supplied with the Garmin 12V car charger and the home charger connects pins 4 and 5 via a resistor in order to tell the Nuvi it has enough power to charge and power the unit and then the unit displays I limit = 1300mA, with this supply you can also display the secret 'Battery page' like this :-

power-cable.png

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2015
  17. nemesi373

nemesi373

Ok, got it. I will try this later in the car with the proper charger.
    What is good to know is that the navi seems to work properly, which is what i didn't believe initially.
    With a new battery would be much better.
    However, I switched off the device for the last few hours...and now i have turned it on:
    The time was wrongly setted at 2.00am but the last position (where I am) was still on the map, this should mean that the fix will be faster right? Why the time is always re-setting?!

nemesi373, Sep 5, 2015
  18. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When you turn it back on do you have to use USB power or is it on battery?, It shouldn't lose the time if the battery is still working. The last position may be stored, so it looks like the Nuvi knows where it is, but it doesn't really. You could try charging the Nuvi in the car but sometimes the car won't supply power without turning on the ignition key and it is dangerous to leave the keys and your Nuvi in the car.

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2015
  19. nemesi373

nemesi373

Unplugged from usb, then left it like that for few hours then still on battery I turned it on...and the time was on 2am.
    I did this half an hour ago. Now still on battery only, i turned it on again and the time was setted again on 2am.
    It's like it loses the time when i turn it off. (I haven't used the usb power on it anymore to test exactly this)

Unfortunately I won't be able to use the car's charger unless I'm driving it...

nemesi373, Sep 5, 2015
  20. nemesi373

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This may all get fixed when the new battery is fitted, but the unit should not forget the time while the battery is still O.K., It might be worth doing a 'Hard Reset' on the Nuvi, this varies a bit with different models, this will reset the unit to factory default, but I guess in your case that isn't a problem, here is are the steps :-

Ensure unit is off (not standby)

For full off press + hold power for 10 seconds until 'Off' Y / N
    appears on screen answer Yes

From off touch + hold lower right hand corner of screen
    briefly press power button
    continue to hold lower right hand corner for 30 seconds
    when Garmin logo disappears release lower right 'touch'
    logo re-appears, with copyright information
    re-apply touch to lower right hand corner
    "erase all user data" message is displayed
    Answer Yes

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2015