Garmin Off-Road choices

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by JoeSilver, Aug 22, 2022.

1. JoeSilver

JoeSilver

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new Garmin GPS for off-road travelling in Africa. Very important would be the capability to load my own tracks, created in Google Earth, preferably in easy to select layers. The reason I'm only looking at Garmin is because I'll be using the Tracks4Africa map as the base map. (only compatible with Garmin)
    Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    These models are within my budget range:

Zumo XT
    Montana 700
    GPSmap 276Cx

Many thanks,
    Joe

JoeSilver, Aug 22, 2022
  2. JoeSilver

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

All Garmin GPSs receive position data from satellites however Garmin tailor their units for specific jobs eg. walking / hiking, aeroplanes, boats, cars, motorcyles etc. and because of this some units are not well suited to your requirements, you need to examine what each unit will do (and will not do) for you.

I would not recommended the Zumo XT, this is a satnav for a motorcycle, it is intended to get it's power supply from the motorcycle and it's internal battery won't last very long without this power

I would not recommend the GPSMap276 either it is a marine chartplotter intended for use in a boat

The Montana 700 is more suited to your requirements but personally I would only purchase this expensive unit it I wanted to use the In Reach satellite communications that this unit has built into this unit

You don't say if the off road travelling will be on foot or in an off road car / motrocycle but you need to be sure that the unit you pick can accept downloaded Tracks (NOT ROUTES), for walking / hiking I would recommend the GPSMap 64, 65, 66. for a car the Overlander, the Zumo XT would be OK only for motorcycles, but remember you need to download Tracks not Routes

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 22, 2022
  3. JoeSilver

JoeSilver

Thanks a lot Nuvi,

I'll be travelling in a Land Rover so the ZumoXT would have permanent power. I like the display size and resolution and the fact that it has 2 sensors (GPS and Galileo)
    I now know the difference between tracks and routes, cheers :)

Are there other models that you could recomend?

Many thanks

JoeSilver, Aug 22, 2022
  4. JoeSilver

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 22, 2022
  5. JoeSilver

JoeSilver

Thanks Nuvi,

Yes, I'll probably have to up my budget and go for the real thing.

Cheers

JoeSilver, Aug 23, 2022
    Sonder likes this.
  6. JoeSilver

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In the UK the Overlander is cheaper than the GPSMap276Cx, Overlander is 550 to 600 UK pounds and the 276 is 650 UK pounds, A GPSMap 64 will do what you want but has a smaller screen (better for walking / hiking)

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 23, 2022
    Sonder likes this.
Ask a Question