Garmin Overlander questions

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by donmontalvo, Oct 3, 2020.

1. donmontalvo

donmontalvo

I've been looking for a forum to discuss Garmin Overlander.

I've been using dozens of Garmin GPS devices over the years, so intimately familiar with their standard offerings.

I bought this one for offroading, and my questions are about finding/importing/creating trail maps that identify the actual trail levels of difficultly.

Most offroad parks offer importable maps, haven't seen a way to import these maps into the Garmin Overlander.

The maps are not your usual GPX, etc., but are TIFF or PDF.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Don

donmontalvo, Oct 3, 2020
  2. donmontalvo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Some (not all) Garmin units allow the installation of Custom Maps, these maps are basically pictures that have been stretched, rotated etc. and made to fit on top of existing maps, the picture can then be imported into the GPS and can be displayed instead of (or on top of) the normal maps on the unit

The Overlander can accept these Custom Maps, there is a Garmin Webpage with details Click HERE, the map 'picture' could be for example a visitor guide to a theme park that has been scanned or photographed and then manipilated using say Google Earth to produce a map overlay that can be used on your Overlander

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 3, 2020
  3. donmontalvo

manowell

Can an Overlander show POI icons on the moving map? I've used POI Loader, and Search shows the points are in there, but they don't show on the map like (some) previous units. Or I can't find where to turn it on...

manowell, May 18, 2021
  4. donmontalvo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sometimes POIs are only shown when the user is navigating a Route, I guess this is controlled on the Overlander by the Up Ahead settings, page 24 in the user guide :-
    2021-05-18_08.31.03.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, May 18, 2021
  5. donmontalvo

manowell

Well, you found one more possible place to configure it than I did. :)

Checked out all the "upcoming locations" options, nothing about custom POIs in there. Set them anyway, plotted a route and drove, and no, nothing shows on the map. At least I learned what's in there....

manowell, May 19, 2021
  6. donmontalvo

Aslantarek

I have a question that has been killing me please someone HELP!!!

I drive primarily on sand dunes because thats the offroading in my country.. so since dunes are always vhanging due to wind you do not use base camp or any other thing to create routs or tracks.. you set a point on where you want to go and gps gives you a straight line to it and you use your eyes and brain to cross dunes accordingly to get there

on the garmin overlander “explore tab”.. which is the “OFFROADING” mode.. it does not show distance to the point im selecting.. and its killing me.. the data fields are locked to “course , elevation, speed, and coordinates”… why the HELL would i need speed i have the car spedo right infront of me.. also elevation has no business being front and center in the desert.. you go up and down hundreds of meters in seconds… HOW DO I PUT DISTANCE TO POINT THERE.. i cant keep going back to the normal map tab just to see the distance then go back in explore again.. this is frustrating.. my 10 year old montana 600 kicks this tablets A**********

please help

Aslantarek, Oct 15, 2021
  7. donmontalvo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Overlander is obviously not set up for 'line of sight' navigating, it expects to follow a Route using a road, path etc., you would need a GPS designed for walking / hiking (like the Montana), to get what you want, you have to admit that driving a car in a dead streight line is quite an unusual thing to do in most circumstances

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 15, 2021
  8. donmontalvo

Aslantarek

It honestly isnt here and when this is the surrounding terrain… its how we drive and cross it.. im SURE there is a way there cant be that big of a flaw in garmins flagship navigation system.. the whole thing is a damn android tablet.. you can put games on it for gods sake

Attached Files:

Aslantarek, Oct 15, 2021
  9. donmontalvo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Can't you use the 'Drive' mode rather than the 'Explore' mode ?, it looks like the Drive mode allows for different maps as well, maybe OSM maps ?, although I'm guessing you won't get many more map features in the desert

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 15, 2021
  10. donmontalvo

Aslantarek

Maps arent really needed in the desert as it changes depending ok wind so its always moving around… just using drive is not a solution it is not supposed to be like that.. whats pissing me off is that this is an option that cannot be missing from this unit.. and no video on youtube talks abojt this no one in any forum is talking about this so i dont know what to do really

Aslantarek, Oct 16, 2021
  11. donmontalvo

Gotwheels

You hit the nail on the head, I'm looking for a gps this size that will take me direct to a point without a trail.
    I can't beleive it's not an option.

Gotwheels, Nov 23, 2021
  12. donmontalvo

Aslantarek

I actually figured it out.. what people in the middle east do since we all drive in basically deserts is you completely remove the explore app its useless to you.. in the drive box from the home page there is a little settings gear icon at the bottom you click it and select an offroad mode that gives you straight lines.. you will only be using the drive app which honestly sounds stupid as hell and i cant beleive this is a “fix” in a 700 hundred dollar piece of gear.. just buy a used mini ipad or a samsung tablet and have ViewRanger or Orux or Gaia installed on it will be MUCH better and much cheaper..

seriously i dno what they were thinking

Aslantarek, Nov 23, 2021
  13. donmontalvo

Gotwheels

Do you know which Samsung tablet works best, and which app will let you drive by compass?

Thanks.

Gotwheels, Nov 24, 2021
  14. donmontalvo

Aslantarek

Honestly any would work.. viewranger is my favorite its very simple and looks asthetically nice.. orux is complicated but can literally do everything you can think off but it is android exclusive and there is also gaia which i honestly dont like but works with everything

Aslantarek, Nov 24, 2021
  15. donmontalvo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 25, 2021
  16. donmontalvo

Gotwheels

I went with the Garmin Zumo XT, I believe it will do what I want.

Gotwheels, Dec 2, 2021
Ask a Question