Garmin Overlander questions

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by donmontalvo, Oct 3, 2020.

1. donmontalvo

donmontalvo

I've been looking for a forum to discuss Garmin Overlander.

I've been using dozens of Garmin GPS devices over the years, so intimately familiar with their standard offerings.

I bought this one for offroading, and my questions are about finding/importing/creating trail maps that identify the actual trail levels of difficultly.

Most offroad parks offer importable maps, haven't seen a way to import these maps into the Garmin Overlander.

The maps are not your usual GPX, etc., but are TIFF or PDF.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Don

donmontalvo, Oct 3, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. donmontalvo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Some (not all) Garmin units allow the installation of Custom Maps, these maps are basically pictures that have been stretched, rotated etc. and made to fit on top of existing maps, the picture can then be imported into the GPS and can be displayed instead of (or on top of) the normal maps on the unit

The Overlander can accept these Custom Maps, there is a Garmin Webpage with details Click HERE, the map 'picture' could be for example a visitor guide to a theme park that has been scanned or photographed and then manipilated using say Google Earth to produce a map overlay that can be used on your Overlander

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 3, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question