Garmin Routes

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by ramblerdan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. ramblerdan

ramblerdan

I like to program my own routes on my desktop and download them to the unit. If during a ride I miss a waypoint, the 2597 spends the rest of the trip telling me to turn around—even after I have passed subsequent waypoints! So the closer I get to my destination, the longer the estimated time to arrive, because the GPS simply insists that I must go back and hit Waypoint 3 when I've already passed Waypoints 8, 9, and 10. It's maddening.

ramblerdan, Jul 10, 2017
  2. ramblerdan

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When you generate your own route on a computer and use it as a file in The Trip Planner of your Nuvi, you are using the Nuvi in Mulitpoint Routing mode. In auto routing mode there are only start and destination points, with all other roads in between being auto selected by the nuvi, there is only one priority I.e., the destination

When in mulipoint routing mode, every waypoint in the route is of equal priority, so if one is missed, it is still a destination that has to be reached, what is needed is a single destination with top priotity and all 'via' points being given a lower priority, however I don't think it works that way

I think all Garmin units will handle mulitpoint routing in the same way

EDIT

I have looked into this further, and it looks like it makes a difference how the route is created in Basecamp, If the route is made up of pre-defined Waypoints (Blue Flag), then these points must be visited, however if you create the route by clicking on map features you create a shaping point (Black Dot), this item in a route has a switchable option, e.g. Alert on arrival = On /Off, I'm guessing that 'Blue Flag' has the same priority as the destination, (e.g. must be visited), and a 'Black Dot' set to Alert on Arrival = off has a lower priority and does not have to be visited

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 11, 2017
  3. ramblerdan

ramblerdan

Oooh I'll give that a try. Thanks!

ramblerdan, Jul 11, 2017
  4. ramblerdan

Graham uk

When we travel we like to go via our choice of route so trying to get my head around WayPoints. In Basecamp I made a short 3 mile round route locally with WayPoints and uploaded to the Garmin...all fine so far. When travelling this route the Garmin kept announcing the house number of each property at each WayPoint which can get tiresome. Is this normal and if so can WayPoints be set so no announcements are given ?.
    I assume if WayPoints are set directly on the Garmin it will still do announcements at each WayPoint ?.

Please move this question to another part of the forum if needed.

graham uk

Graham uk, Jul 12, 2017
  5. ramblerdan

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you make a route in Basecamp by clicking on points on the map it generates a set of shaping points (Black Dots), rather than Waypoints (Blue Flags), there is an option for a shaping point called Alert on arrival (or Don't) selected by right clicking on a point in the Route's info. page, if you set it to "Don't" there will be no announcement

dont-alert.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 12, 2017
  6. ramblerdan

Graham uk

Nuvi-Nebie. Your reply is appreciated. Yes, I will try your suggestion right clicking on the black points (Selecting Don't Anounce).
    This is the benifit of a Forum to get info that does not appear to be available on Garmin.com

graham uk

Graham uk, Jul 12, 2017
  7. ramblerdan

Graham uk

Garmin Newbie. Attached photo of a test route loop made in Basecamp and sent to Garmin.
    What do the BLUE circles indicate...and if selected they change to an FLAG.

Appreciate feedback. graham uk

Attached Files:

Graham uk, Jul 13, 2017
  8. ramblerdan

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't get blue dots on my Nuvi 56, but I think it is the same as the yellow dots in this picture

shaping-wont.png
    This is a Route generated by Basecamp using shaping points with alerts turned off

Shaping-with.png
    This is a Route generated by Basecamp using shaping points with alerts turned on

Waypoints.png
    This is a Route generated by Basecamp using Waypoints

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 14, 2017
  9. ramblerdan

Graham uk

Nuvi-Nebie. Your clear info is appreciated. Thank you for helping me to improve my Garmin learning curve.
    This type of question should be added to (Frequently Asked Questions).
    Good to see questions on this Forum answered within a short time...Well Done.

graham uk

Graham uk, Jul 14, 2017
  10. ramblerdan

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This Thread is now linked to Garmin ... What is a Route ... (Click HERE)
    Which in turn is linked to Garmin FAQs (Click Here)

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 16, 2017
  11. ramblerdan

ramblerdan

I created a new route with multipoint routing. Unfortunately many of the points I selected automatically became blue flags because the program was able to identify them as street addresses or businesses. The properties dialogs for those waypoints offered no option to change them to simple black dots or to change the Alert on Arrival property. Sure enough I missed a waypoint along the way, and the program spent the rest of the ride telling me to do a U-turn, even after I passed through several other waypoints. In fact after I reached my destination the program was still telling me to go out again to reach the missed waypoint.

Happily I knew the area well enough that I could ignore the GPS and get to the subsequent waypoints and home.

Meanwhile I had been in 2D/north-up navigation mode during the ride but a couple of times wanted to get a larger view so hit the (-) symbol on the screen to zoom out. Several times my gloved finger missed the symbol and hit the map itself, sending the Nuvi into "aerial" mode, which would be fine except it's 3D, which is worse than useless when you're trying to get a sense of the wider area. Previous Garmin units always made the aerial view 2D, which is as it should be. I could find no setting to change the aerial view to 2D. Such a frustrating experience.

Never buying another Garmin!

ramblerdan, Jul 17, 2017
  12. ramblerdan

chippehawk

Hello, I'm still coming up to speed on understanding how to generate a Route (with shaping points) within BaseCamp then importing that route as a Trip into my Trip Planner app for a DriveSmart 61 device. I first created a route within Google Maps, then created a . gpx file and finally imported it into BaseCamp. It is just a 13 mile Test Case route between two addresses.

BaesCamp created the following Track file from the imported ,gpx file:
    Test Case Track Details.jpg
    The Track file contained 751 map points which is too many. I created a Route from the Track file with a map point every mile along the route:
    Test Case Route Details.jpg
    This denotes 13 "via points". I don't know if these are "Way Points" or "Shaping Points" but it did create Route Directions shown in the following Step-by-Step Directions that does follow the original customized Google Map route.
    Test Case Step-by-Step Details.jpg
    Finally, I sent this BaseCamp Route to my DriveSmart 61 GPS and it created the following Trip within the Trip Planner app:
    Trip Planner Test Case.jpg
    The Trip Planner trip contains the 13 map points in the BaseCamp route. I want to make sure that these 13 Blue Dots represent "Shaping Points" and NOT "Way Points" so I won't be FORCED to pass through every map point as I'm driving in case I need to periodically deviate from the original route when the GPS is re-plans the route back to the final destination.

If these Blue Dots are Way Points how could I convert them into Shaping Points within BaseCamp before sending the route to my device. Thanks for helping be better understand this whole creating a BaseCamp route and subsequent Trip Planner trip.

Attached Files:

chippehawk, Nov 30, 2020
  13. ramblerdan

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In your last picture only the first and last entries are Waypoints, all the 'Won't Alert' entries are shaping points

If you don't want to be forced into visiting intermediate Waypoints, then create a much simpler route in Basecamp like this :-

1) Create two waypoints, one Start and one End point
    2) Click on New Route, highlight both waypoints and right click on 'Create Route using selected Waypoints'

Image1.png

3) You now have a Route with only Start and End points, this is all you need to get from Start to finish, if you want to insert some shaping points along the way, place the Pencil icon on the new Route and right click 'Insert into Route'

Image2.png

4) This will allow you to select an intermediate shaping point like this

Image3.png

5) Now you have a altered Route like this

Image4.png

6) You can keep adding more shaping points, but remember there is only one destination so does it matter how you get there?

If you right click on your new Route you can see the added 'Food and Drink' shaping point here

Image5.png

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 1, 2020
  14. ramblerdan

chippehawk

I like your method of creating a route between two Waypoint destinations directly with BaseCamp and adding any Shaping points, as necessary, to travel on any desired roads. This is a nice alternative to creating a route with Google Maps, creating the associated .gpx file then importing it into BaseCamp. It also eliminates any issues if there are any road differences between Google Maps and my installed Garmin Maps.
    Thank You for your detailed and useful responses.

chippehawk, Dec 1, 2020
Ask a Question