Garmin RV 770 loses satellite reception

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by desertman, May 27, 2023.

1. desertman

desertman

I have been using a Garmin RV 770 for my summer travels in my motorhome for about 5 years. In all the years before, satellite reception was never a problem.

However, since the beginning of my travels this year, I have been getting the "Lost Satellite Reception" message quite frequently while traveling in Arizona and Utah - even when driving on open roads with blue skies above me. I have the same RV, and the device is in the same location. The device is, of course, running with the latest software version. Reception is always restored in less than a minute, but then it often happens that reception is lost again in less than a minute, and this might repeat itself several times before the reception is again stable for hours or days.

Does this happen also to others with other Garmin automotive devices?

Is there a way to reset the satelite reception (without losing all the content of the devices), or is there any other remedy for this issue?

Thanks, desertman

desertman, May 27, 2023
  2. desertman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am not sure a factory reset will help your situation but it is worth a try, the reset will lose any waypoints, routes etc. stored on the unit so these need to be copied to a computer running Garmin Basecamp, then with the unit off, Hold the power key for 12 seconds and if asked 'do you want to reset all user data' answer Yes

Possible causes of the loss of 'fix' are hard to track down and you have already eliminated some of them, you need to look for something that had change eg. a new RV or a new heated window fitted to the existing RV, change of position of the 770 inside the RV, using the 770 in an area that had a lot more trees / buildings etc., maybe even a change of temperature eg. a lot hotter or colded inside the RV. The 770 shouldn't 'wear out' with age, but intetnal oscillators can drift with time making a 'fix' more difficult

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2023
Ask a Question