Garmin Streetpilot 3 as a marine gps

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Steven Crawford, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Steven Crawford

Steven Crawford

Hello everyone,

I have a Garmin Streetpilot 3 and I would like to use it as a gps on my fishing boat, I have read that this is in fact possible but what I am wondering is do I need the bluechart data card?. I will only be using it on larger inland lakes in Ireland and really only want to use it for speed and marking launch points so don't need it to be a full on chart plotter showing depths etc. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this?

Thanks Steve

Steven Crawford, Jan 22, 2016
  2. Steven Crawford

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your Garmin Streetpilot 3 will be able to display your speed and mark waypoints without bluechart maps, it will operate the same as it does on land

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 22, 2016
  3. Steven Crawford

Steven Crawford

Thanks a lot nuvi-nebie, was hoping that I would be able to do this without the bluecharts, I would imagine that the maps on the unit will register that I am on a lake and show it as such on the screen? Not just as green land

Steven Crawford, Jan 22, 2016
  4. Steven Crawford

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes the lakes should be just areas of blue, some GPSs have a function called 'snap to road' where the GPS will falsely display your location as being on the nearest road, but I don't think your unit does this, so it should just place you in the middle of a featureless 'blue area'

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 23, 2016
  5. Steven Crawford

Steven Crawford

Thanks for the info, the unit should be perfect for what I want then

Steven Crawford, Jan 23, 2016
Ask a Question