Garmin Support?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Hans Ignals, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Hans Ignals

Hans Ignals

I have a number of matters I’d like to raise with Garmin Australia (I have a 61 LMTS) concerning inaccuracies in the database in the gps, and also trying to get the warning shown in the reversing camera to appear at the top of the screen instead of the bottom, where it obscures the tow ball when reversing and connecting my trailer.
    It seems practically impossible other than a phone call, to contact them by email. Their ‘support’ is limited to a series of faq’s which are useless.
    So does anyone know how to change the screen display so the warning is shown at the top of the screen and how to contact Garmin to improve their product?

Hans Ignals, Feb 26, 2020
  2. Hans Ignals

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Do you know that it is possible to change this screen?, just wanting something to happen is not going to make it happen, if you are hoping to get Garmin (or any other manufacturer of electronic goods) to re-write their sofware for you, you might be waiting for some time

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Hans Ignals

Hans Ignals

I somewhat agree, but the least Garmin could do is listen to users of their products. Many complaints on this forum lead to useful suggestions that need to be considered by Garmin.

It would be a simple matter to provide an option in the settings to choose wether the warning could be either at the top or bottom of the screen, just as it provides the options to adjust the guidance lines on the reversing camera screen.

Hans Ignals, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Hans Ignals

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You need to think this through, is it likely that Garmin is going to make a change to their code on the request of a single person?, how many thousands of 'one-person' change requests do you think they would get?

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 28, 2020
  5. Hans Ignals

Hans Ignals

I’m probably not the only one. There are many thousands of Garmin users who have ideas on how to improve the products, not all of them participate in a Gps forum. The maps on my Gps for example contain many errors such as fuel outlets in newsagents, private homes, rest stops, truck stops, lay bys, all showing up on the maps with a petrol pump icon. None of these sell petrol, so when you are looking for the nearest fuel outlet, the gps can direct you to one of these places. Schools where there are none, and schools missing from the map. I prefer to use OSM maps which seem to be far more accurate, but unfortunately don’t show my own POIs.
    My problem is there seems to be no means by which Garmin can be contacted to do contact their map and data suppliers to do something about making corrections.

Hans Ignals, Feb 28, 2020
  6. Hans Ignals

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The same thing applies to Garmin Maps, they are not going to issues a new map every time a newsagent changes name from Smith to Jones, Garmin uses HERE (Navteq) maps, it is possible for members of the public to have an input to some aspects of these maps by editing them on-line, if you want to contibute have a look at their website :-
    https://mapcreator.here.com/
    Garmin will eventually put these edits into the map and if you have free updates for your Drivesmart? 61 LMTS they will find their way onto your satnav, but don't hold your breath, it could take a year or more

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 28, 2020
  7. Hans Ignals

Hans Ignals

Thanks, but I’m not going to spend hours working on HERE maps to correct errors.
    I don’t expect Garmin to change the name of a newsagent from Smith to Jones, but I do expect them to delete the icon (or correct the coordinates) of the icon that shows a petrol station at this point. I would expect them to put the correct icons on the map for patches of dirt on the side of the road (lay bys) toilets on the side of the road (truck stops) and picnic areas on the side of the road (rest areas), all of which are showing a petrol pump icon indicating a fuel outlet when there isn’t one.
    By the way, the lack of support from Garmin leads to forums like this to find answers.

Hans Ignals, Feb 29, 2020
Ask a Question