Garmin Topo 100k Partial maps display

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Utah Wanderer, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Utah Wanderer

Utah Wanderer

Hello To all, I should read through prior threads more thoroughly, but decided to just ask- recently I've had issues with several handheld GPS units (Oregon 450, Oregon 300, Dakota 20) all having the same problem.
    I have had a CD of Garmin Topo 100k that I used successfully to download maps from in the past.
    All three units display detail partially, then at a distance they don't. the mileage, lat/long and elevations stay current, also Tracking- just no detail is shown.
    I tried updating to current Unit software versions via Garmin express, new SD cards, re-formatting, and reloading maps after a reset, still having issues, has anyone else had this problem? and did anyone find the problem and the cure?
    Thanks in advance, and thanks for accepting me onto the Forum- Utah Wanderer

Utah Wanderer, Sep 4, 2022
  2. Utah Wanderer

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you have other maps on the units (apart from the topo 100k), I would suggest turning all other maps off so that they are all disabled and only the topo is enabled, usually all maps can be enabled at the same time with no problems and the unit desides which one to use, but it may help to only enable the topo map, by didplaying the msp screen and selecting something like Menu >> setup map >> select Map >> [enable topo, disable all other maps]

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 4, 2022
    Utah Wanderer likes this.
  3. Utah Wanderer

Utah Wanderer

I'll give that a try, Thank you Nuvi-Nebie!

Utah Wanderer, Sep 4, 2022
  4. Utah Wanderer

Utah Wanderer

I tried the Enable/Disable map feature, sadly it didn't work, Thank you for the advice Nuvi-Nebie, kinda gave me a place to start looking for the problem.
    I am currently doing a partial Topo 100 K loading (just the western US region) seems to be working, but I will do some field testing to confirm this worked. Has anyone else had issues with "overloading" their Oregon/Dakota GPS units with maps? - I'm using 32GB sd cards, freshly formatted, and a hard reboot on the unit (turn on while holding top center of screen) as well, hoping to eliminate any stray memory being taken.

Utah Wanderer, Sep 5, 2022
  5. Utah Wanderer

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Do you mean that the map stops displaying when you zoom out ?, have you tried increasing map detail, eg, for Oregon :- Setup >> Map >> Advanced Map Setup >> Detail, I would also try decreasing the map detail as I guess it would help with the amount of memory required

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2022
  6. Utah Wanderer

Utah Wanderer

All three GPS units would stop displaying detail along a north-south latitude line, approximately 20 or so miles south of my home location, despite having detail maps loaded. I tried map detail setup, enabling/disabling other maps.

Last night experimenting with the Garmin 300- reformatting the card, hard reboot and custom loading the western region (my location, and personally most used section of the US) so far that seems to remedy the situation, I'm heading out here shortly to do actual in location testing to see if this solves the issue- Thanks Nuvi-Nebie

Utah Wanderer, Sep 5, 2022
  7. Utah Wanderer

Utah Wanderer

latest update- deleting and selective grid reloading of Garmin topo has (so far) resolved the issues with all three GPS units- (Oregon 300, 450, Dakota 20) - the odd mysteries remaining are
    1. they all worked before with full maps
    2. I have hardly touched the usable Memory with the SD cards, yet still had issues
    3. Will it happen again for another unknown reason
    Thanks to all for your interest and Nuvi-Nebie for your replies and advice- Utah Wanderer

Utah Wanderer, Sep 7, 2022
Ask a Question