Garmin Zumo XT Wiring for Truck?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ray Sherman, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I'm considering a Zumo XT to use for both my MC and truck. As for the truck, I would want to use the same MC XT mount & cable with a RAM suction mount. I wouldn't want to be bending the power adapter flap all the time as well. Plus, using the MC mount would be a much quicker connection. With that being said, I don't want to use a 12v cigarette type socket for power. Anybody here have any idea's and/or have some type of other option? Hard wiring wouldn't be out of the question but, I would want a clean install. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Ray Sherman, Mar 17, 2023
  2. Ray Sherman

StorminH

A few months ago I purchased a 5.5" Tread. The Tread unit & mount is exactly the same as the XT & mount except for the firmware and group radio - I think you can even upgrade the XT to use the Tread firmware.

Garmin's XT \ Tread mount design only suits a permanent MC rather than a removable vehicle installation - the 90 degree cable adapter gets screwed (TINY screw) into the mount bracket. Also, the XT \ Tread power supply delivers 5v to the unit (unlike Montana 600 \ 276cx which deliver 12v), so make sure you use a proper XT power cable & incorporate that little wizard box at the far end of the power cable.

I routed the power cable up the A pillar and inserted an inline DC connector about 5" from the mount. I can now remove just the Tread or unplug the power supply and remove the mount & the Tread. Also, the Garmin suction mounts are not up to the task, rather attach an AMPS plate & ball (B size), suitable extension and RAM suction.

Attached Files:

StorminH, Mar 18, 2023
  3. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

That's great to know! I'll look into this further.... Thanks for the pic, appreciate your help! :)

Ray Sherman, Mar 18, 2023
Ask a Question