Geocaching and downloading caches on a GPSMap62

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by wilcoxweedpatch, Aug 3, 2017.

1. wilcoxweedpatch

wilcoxweedpatch

I have no problem getting caches to download on the GPSr, but if I unplug it from the computer then plug it back in, all the caches that I have downloaded disappear. They're still in the unit, but I cannot bring them up on the screen. And if I download another cache, it's the only one I can find. How do I go about finding the ones I had already entered??

wilcoxweedpatch, Aug 3, 2017
  2. wilcoxweedpatch

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

How are you downloading the caches ?, are you sending them directly from the https://www.geocaching.com site?
    can you see the caches in the Waypoints folder after you disconnect your computer?, i.e. by going to :- Page >> Find >> Waypoints, they should be in both this location and in :- Page >> Find >> Geocache

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 3, 2017
  3. wilcoxweedpatch

wilcoxweedpatch

Say if I make a list of caches to be found, send them to the GPS through the "send to my GPS" on geocaching .com and all is well. I can see all of them. but if I want to add another cache later, the only one that shows up is the added one. I can plug the GPS to the computer, and they're all there, but they don't show up on the gps.

wilcoxweedpatch, Aug 4, 2017
  4. wilcoxweedpatch

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Can you see the missing caches in :-
    Page >> Find >> Waypoints ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 4, 2017
  5. wilcoxweedpatch

Liviticus

I have the same problem on the GPSmap 66st. I found a way to work around it by creating a GPX folder on my computer to hold all gpx files I have downloaded. Then when it happens I can restore them by connecting the gps to my computer and deleting ALL .gpx files from the Garmin gpx folder and then reboot the garmin. Then I hook it back up to the computer and then drag and drop them back into the garmin's (now empty) gpx folder from the backup folder I created on my computer. When I power the garmin back up they are all there again.

Liviticus, Jul 26, 2020
  6. wilcoxweedpatch

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin GPSs seem to have a problem indexing all the geocaches they find on the unit, as stated above the files containing the cashes are on the unit, but when turned on the software seems incapable of grouping them together from the various files in which the cashes reside. I have found that this situation is made much worse if the unit finds the block of thousands of pre-installed cashes supplied by Garmin, as I find the pre-installed cashes out dated and of little use to me I disable them by renaming the file stored at /Garmin/GGZ/preload.ggz to /preload.ggg so that the indexer doesn't have so many files to handle

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 27, 2020
Ask a Question