Getting Maps Into Triton Without TOPO! Explorer

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by Dale Cook, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Dale Cook

Dale Cook

After I recently brought my Triton back to life I discovered that I could no longer load topos into it from TOPO! Explorer because the web site required for that program was gone. Some alternatives have vanished from the web, but I finally found MAPC2MAPC, a UK program which can convert maps from many formats to many other formats. I start with 7.5 minute GeoTIFF topo quadrangles from the USGS National Map Viewer. I use my image editor to pull layer 1 out of the image, trim everything outside of the map, and crank the edited map through MAPC2MAPC to generate an RMP format map that I copy to the Triton's SD card. I have a 16 gb card in the Triton and it holds a lot of quadrangles. The results are almost as nice as the TOPO! Explorer maps and suit my needs very well. You can download a trial version of MAPC2MAPC which is fully functional but puts red Xs all over the output. If you like it the registration fee is 15 British pounds (about $20 USD at today's exchange rate) to eliminate the red Xs.

Dale Cook, Jun 14, 2019
Ask a Question