GPS advice for boondocking / dispersed camping

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Zugmeister, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Zugmeister

Zugmeister

Hi all!

I'm looking at taking an unstructured tour of the western US camping almost entirely on public / forest service lands. I'd like a GPS that either comes with the requisite maps or that can accept them from a third party vendor. Has anyone any experience with this? I'd love any advice about what GPS model might work well (I'm looking at a Garmin 700i but it's really pricey) as well as how easy it is to get the appropriate maps and install them.

Zugmeister, Jan 28, 2022
  2. Zugmeister

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You don't need the montana 700i to get what you want, almost all Garmins accepts maps, starting with say the Etrex20 (not Etrex10), where you get the maps you want is a bit more tricky, but you can always add Waypoints of any campsite or other features you want to visit, the easiest way to do this is by installing Garmin Basecamp onto a computer (it's free to download), this will use the maps already on your GPS and allow you to make a new waypoint by pointing at a place on the map, you can then download these new waypoints to your GPS and use them to navigate to

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 28, 2022
Ask a Question