GPS Device Needed For Mountaineering

Discussion in 'Other GPS Devices' started by GCNord1008, Dec 14, 2023.

1. GCNord1008

GCNord1008

I was looking for a small GPS device that can send and receive GPS X,Y,Z coordinates. I have written some extensive software that can get the GPS location of a cell phone or a computer that visits the web page and then stores the GPS location on the server. I also now need a good dedicated GPS device that can send the actual GPS radio packets to a server or elsewhere to report the whereabouts at specified intervals so that my family can always get my GPS location at any time in addition to my software and cell phone setup.

The device needs to be lightweight so it can fit into a backpacking backpack meant for mountaineering. Waterproof and hard to break if not indestructable.

I researched how the Russian, Chinese, European and U.S.A. GPS satellites work. GLONASS and more. Needs to be a legit chip. How can I get one ? As in one that works without cell towers.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    GCNord1008, Dec 14, 2023
  2. GCNord1008

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You need to find a GPS unit that has a 2 way link to the internet, GPS units have various comms. links eg:-
    1. Navigation satellites = receive only
    2. VHF Radio = 2way but unlikely to reach internet link
    3. Bluetooth = 2 way but only over a few metres
    4. Wi-Fi = 2 way but only over a few metres
    5. ANT comms. = 2 way but only over a few metres
    6. Chirp comms. = 2 way but only over a few metres
    7. Iridium satellites = 2 way global comms.
    So the only viable comms. link I can see working is Iridium satellite equipped GPS units like the Garmin InReach

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 14, 2023
  3. GCNord1008

GCNord1008

Is there a namebrand G.P.S. smart watch with extremely long lasting battery life ?

GCNord1008, Dec 14, 2023
  4. GCNord1008

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There is a UK saying, "You have moved the goalposts", It means you appear to have changed your original requirements

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 15, 2023
Ask a Question