GPS Drift

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by DenverGuy, Jan 30, 2020.

1. DenverGuy

DenverGuy

I have a new eTrex 35 Touch and I have upgraded the firmware. I walked 3.5 miles today and stopped for 10 minutes. When I looked at the unit it had added 3 miles to the trip computer! (My old eTrex units never did that). I have it sitting on a table and it has added 1/2 mile in 20 minutes. It's odd that it added 3 miles before). I called Garmin and they said that this is normal. My car Nuvi sure doesn't do that. Any suggestions?

DenverGuy, Jan 30, 2020
  2. DenverGuy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This happens due to errors in calculating your position, when the unit is stationary, over time it's estimated positon will move North, South East or West of where it was by say a few feet, this movement will be logged exactly the same as if you really had moved a few feet because the unit has no way of knowing if it is real movement or error. As time goes on more and more of these movements will be logged due to errors

In car satnavs there are ways to get around these errors because the car moves much quicker it is possible to ignore any attempt to log small - slow 'jumps' as the car is not likely to be genuinely travelling at say 2 miles per hour, however it is not possible to use this technique when you are walking with your GPS because real movement and error movement look identicle.

This effect can be reduced by making the errors as small as possible, by having a clear view of the sky (uninterrupted by trees etc.), a more sensitive GPS or a GPS that tracks more satellites, these all reduce errors and that in turn makes for less 'false' movement

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 30, 2020
  3. DenverGuy

DenverGuy

Thanks for that information. That's good to know. I called someone else at Garmin and she said to go into setup and enable auto pause. The unit will stop measuring if its speed is less than 1.5 MPH.

DenverGuy, Jan 31, 2020
  4. DenverGuy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes the 'Auto Pause' option is basically the option I was referring to above for car satnavs, it's good to see Garmin have added this feature on some of the newer walking / hiking units

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 31, 2020
Ask a Question