GPS in Faroe Islands

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Hantsmark, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Hantsmark

Hantsmark

I will be hiking in the Faroe Islands late October. For the last ten years I have used my iphone for navigation and hiking in UK, France, Germany but as I am alone and the areas are quite remote, I am planning to buy a Garmin unit....but not sure which one.
    A very helpful Garmin customer support person has told me they don't have road or topo maps for the Faroes which is disappointing. I guess I am going to be using a combination of paper 1:50k maps and OSM. Unless anyone has a better plan?
    Does anyone know of topo maps for the Faroe Islands?

What would others recommend as the unit. I am tempted by the InReach (but which one?) and that can also link, I believe, to my phone and can also be used for emergency calls. Helpful possibly as I will be alone.

Or possibly a bigger, better unit with the InReach as a backup.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hantsmark, Sep 30, 2018
  2. Hantsmark

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you purchase a Garmin GPS unit you will be able to download a version of the Open Street Maps (Faroes) that will run on you new GPS, here is the link to the downloadable files :-

http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/11-09-2018/82951177cc47352509e2dbc179eb434f/

The only advantage to the in-Reach is the two way satelite messaging via The Iridium satellite network, there is an additional cost for the subscription to this network, so it depends if you need this.

As I understand that the Faroes have pretty good cellphone coverage, you may decide you don't need satellite messaging, in which case I would take a look at the GPSMap 64 GPS unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 1, 2018
    Ian and Hantsmark like this.
  3. Hantsmark

Hantsmark

Thanks for this. I had already worked out that the OSM maps was the most likely route. I have also been told that the Euro Topo Map from Kartenmanufaktur MK [Amazon] covers Faroes. I'm not sure what their source data is...presumably also OSM. Another possibility is the Spot Gen 3 as the emergency comms device.

Hantsmark, Oct 1, 2018
Ask a Question