GPS portable receiver with Galileo and KMZ compatible

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by kiks73, Feb 6, 2020.

1. kiks73

kiks73

Hi everybody, I'm new on this forum,
    I need a GPS receiver for trekking that can read KMZ files including raster overlay.
    To have a better precision I would like a device compatible with European Galileo Localization System.
    Any suggestion? Does Galieo really improve the localization accuracy?
    Thanks for your time.
    Kiks

kiks73, Feb 6, 2020
  2. kiks73

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Almost all Garmin GPSs will allow standard GPS maps to be installed, however not all of them will allow 'raster' maps to be installed, here is a list of Garmin units that allow both standard and raster maps (in kmz format) to be installed :-
    • Oregon series
    • Dakota 10 and 20
    • Colorado series
    • GPSMAP 62 series
    • GPSMAP 64 series
    • GPSMAP 66 series
    • GPSMAP 78 series
    • Rino 600 series
    • eTrex 20 and 30
    • Astro 320
    • Alpha 100
    • Edge 810, 800 and 510
    • Montana series
    • Monterra
    • zumo 590
    A GPS that is capable is receiving signals from both the USA's GPS satellite constellation and other satellite constellations is usually called a GNSS recriver, the 'other' constellations include Glonass (Russia), Beidou (China) and Galileo (Europe)

As time goes on more constellations are being added to GPS devices, e.g. the GPSMap 62 is GPS only, the GPSMap64 is GPS + Glonass and the GPSMap66 is GPS + Glonass + Galileo as more constellations are added accuracy is increased mainly due to a better choice of well positioned satellites to choose from

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 6, 2020
  3. kiks73

kiks73

thanks so much

kiks73, Feb 6, 2020
Ask a Question