GPS Signal reception got affected by Wi-Fi module

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Lijo Thomas, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Lijo Thomas

Lijo Thomas

Hi all,

I am working on an application which uses GPS and Wi-Fi simultaneously. The GPS module works with an internal antenna. But it seems that the GPS signals are affected by the Wi-Fi module.

When I connect an external antenna for the GPS, it works fine . I tested with multiple internal antennas, still the problem persists.

But When I removed the Wi-Fi card and test the GPS with internal antenna , in this case it works fine..

Does Wi-Fi cards really reduces GPS signal reception.

Suggestions are most welcome to overcome this issue...

Thanks in Advance !!!

Lijo Thomas

Lijo Thomas, Oct 10, 2017
  2. Lijo Thomas

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think is very likely that this is a problem with your setup, every smartphone has wifi and GPS modules in very close proximity and they work perfectly well together. You don't say what your setup is, but I am guessing it is a laptop or desktop computer?, GPS does not work well indoors so using a remote antenna with a better gain and view of the sky is always going to give better results, also you don't say what sort of GPS receiver you are using, is it a USB device connected to the computer?, a computer is a very 'noisy' environment, so placing the GPS module away from it is going to help

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 11, 2017
Ask a Question