GPS solution for vehicle group

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by MikaK, Apr 25, 2021.

1. MikaK

MikaK

I need help and/or ideas how to share GPS routes to group. What I do and what I need. I organize long driving events for Citroën 2CV enthusiasts. The need is to share daily routes easily on a trip without a computer. Almost all participants Tomtom navigator with MyDrive support.

Until now, I have done daily route plans with MyDrive and shared it with shared Tomtom account email. The problem is that all user need delete from their own account and set up their device to use the Tomtom account I share. Big problem is also participants that not own Tomtom device. They can use MyDrive phone app to see the route, but they can also accidentally delete the route or send new route to all partisipants device.

Tomtom Road Trips would be good, but you can’t search for created routes on your Tomtom device, you must first import them into Tomtom MyDrive as your own route.

So I looking for device or app or what ever idea to share daily routes to other participants. It is important that changes to the next day’s route are easy to send and receive. Google Maps is not an option because we often use small roads and other than the shortest route. Google Maps route sharing is easy, but any changes you make with the mouse (drag and drop points) will be lost when you share the route. The recipient gets the fastest route.

Tomtom is not mandatory, all other devices and ideas will be accepted.

Sorry about my bad English.
    - mika -

MikaK, Apr 25, 2021
  2. MikaK

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think the most portable option would be to create a kml file, there are many mapping programs that will save a track as a kml file, you can then attach the kml file to an Email and send to all participants, when opening the Email users can choose how to view the kml file on any map App. they have installed, it can be opened in Google Earth for a birdseye view or using a mapping App. like OsmAnd

Here is an example kml created using Garmin Basecamp, (the file needs to be unzipped), :-

Attached Files:

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 25, 2021
  3. MikaK

MikaK

Okey, but which mobile app or device can import KML route directly?

MikaK, Apr 25, 2021
  4. MikaK

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OsmAnd can directly import kml files, this App. works completely off line using free maps downloaded to the Tablet / smartphone, here is the example above imported into OsmAnd

Screenshot_20210425-162600.jpg
    Click Image

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 25, 2021
Ask a Question