GPS to show waypoints on a map

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by livemusic, Feb 7, 2017.

1. livemusic

livemusic

Hello, I have "Free GPS" app on my iphone but the accuracy is not so great. What is an iphone GPS capable of in that department? (I mean, how accurate should it be to a set waypoint?) Do I need to buy a stand-alone GPS?

Here is what I want to do. Just in general, driving, or hiking, be able to set waypoints and go back to them in the future. Second, I want to be able to set a waypoint at the location of every dogwood tree on my land. Then be able to go back to each one. And, to be able to view them on a map. I wish I could also plot the boundary lines of my property on that map.

I don't know much about GPS, thanks for any info.

livemusic, Feb 7, 2017
  2. livemusic

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Any GPS receiver needs a good view of the sky to be accurate, ideally there should be nothing between the GPS and the satellites, you might get a signal indoors but it will be a poor one, even trees will cut down the signal.

Your iphone should be capable of doing what you want, for extra accuracy, you can try a GPS averaging App., this will take many readings and average them out in order to get a better 'fix'

You may be better off storing a waypoint away from a tree where you can still see it ( and the sky), rather than standing under it, the result won't mark the tree's location, but it will be more accurate.

Some GPS Apps. will give an estimate of accuracy in feet / metres, if you can't get this you may be able to display the signal strength and number of 'visible' satellites, the more the better

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 7, 2017
Ask a Question