GPS units with better Raster support?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by atod, Sep 21, 2015.

1. atod

atod

Hi Folks,

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 62s and while it's great with vector data, I find that it is rather slow displaying raster (JNX) data. Does anyone know of any GPS units that provide the environmental protection and keypad of the Garmin, however better functionality displaying raster data?

I ask because I have a number of trail maps for the New York area and it's a simple process to scan these maps into GeoTIFFs. Converting them to vector data is a very time consuming process. I considered using my iPhone 6 with the PDF Maps app to display GeoTIFFs, however am concerned about GPS signal reception (antenna), battery life, touch screen performance in cold weather and protection from the elements.

Appreciate any insight on your findings.

Thanks,
    Nick

atod, Sep 21, 2015
  2. atod

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't have any Garmin devices that can display raster maps, so I haven't really looked into this, hopefully other forum users may be able to help you. In the mean time, I did find some info. on getting JNX files onto your Garmin that may be of some use here :-
    http://whiter.brinkster.net/en/JNX.shtml, I found a user saying that the 'firmware patcher', detailed on this site was able to improve the handling of JNX files by Garmin devices, but you would need to look into what it is actually doing

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 21, 2015
Ask a Question