GPS with Alitmeter

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by TomTexas, Dec 5, 2013.

1. TomTexas

TomTexas

Can anyone tell me if there is a 5 inch,auto gps, with an altimeter? Magellan? Garmin? Any reputable brand will suffice..

TomTexas, Dec 5, 2013
  2. TomTexas

gvocks

A little late answer, but my Garmin Nuvi has will tell you elevation. I'm sure it uses gps sats rather than an actual barometric pressure altimeter.

gvocks, Apr 15, 2014
  3. TomTexas

Flyboy

My Garmin Nuvi will display the elevation of your current location. The GPS uses the database to look up the elevation of your current position. Even aviation GPS units don't use barometric pressure to indicate altitude. They must receive four satellites, three determine the latitude and longitude while the fourth calculates the height above the center of the earth. The GPS then uses the ground elevation at the location of the aircraft to determine its altitude.

Flyboy, May 7, 2014
  4. TomTexas

sailordon

This looks like a dead thread.
    Garmin Montana 650 has an altimeter. You can plug in a city map for automotive navigation, but you can't change the 4 inch screen.
    If you need 5 inch display, this GPS won't qualify.

sailordon, Jun 25, 2014
Ask a Question