GPS with "fewest turns" option

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Frank1492, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Frank1492

Frank1492

Does anyone make one, preferably with voice recognition?
    I am sick and tired of taking back roads with frequent turns when major highways would get me there almost as fast.
    Thanks for help.
    Frank

Frank1492, Dec 2, 2015
  2. Frank1492

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Although I can't say I've seen 'Fewest Turns' option, there are similar Navigation options available on Sat-Navs. As a general rule Sat-Navs try to plan a route that goes up in road size and then descends again in road size near the destination, I quite often select 'Avoid Motorways' unless I am travelling hundreds of miles, because I find Sat-Navs seem to go out of there way to get to a motorway only to leave it one or two junctions later, when it's not worth the bother. The kind of Navigational options I have seen include :-

Avoid Unpaved roads / Tracks
    Avoid Changing roads
    Minimize Turns

Although some of these are more common on Smartphone Navigation Apps.

There is quite a selection of Voice activated Sat--Navs available, including :-

Garmin Nuvi 2597
    TomTom Via 135
    TomTom Go 510

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 2, 2015
  3. Frank1492

Frank1492

Thank you. A wealth of info. If the Nuvi 2597 has a " minimize turns" option I will surely consider it.
    Why don't you think the "minimize turns" option is what I am looking for?
    I know my Smartphone can do all this but I don't like wasting airtime.

Frank1492, Dec 2, 2015
  4. Frank1492

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think 'Minimize Turns' is what you are looking for, I placed it last on the list because I have only seen this on a Smart Phone Apps. the User manual for the 2597 (Link HERE), only seems to say this about changing routes (Page 8) :-

upload_2015-12-2_23-40-52.png

You could plot / edit a route on a computer and then download it to your Sat-Nav, but that is a bit of a long winded way to get what you want

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 2, 2015
  5. Frank1492

Frank1492

This is why I would think Garmin and others would be struggling. They have an edge only in that they don't use air time.
    Do you recall which app has a "minimize turns" option? The 2597 obviously won't. Thanks again.

Frank1492, Dec 3, 2015
  6. Frank1492

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am sure I have seen 'Minimize Turns' in the Waze App. in the past, however I think the version I have on my smartphone must have updated itself, because I can't see it now, there is a website that describes it here (Click link)

upload_2015-12-3_13-17-19.png

BTW
    If you are thinking of using a Smart phone App., it's worth remembering that although Waze uses on-line maps, there are Apps. that download maps to your phone so you don't need a link to the internet to use them, i.e. no 'Air-Time', they include OsmAnd and MapsMe

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 3, 2015
  7. Frank1492

Rx7man

This is something they desperately need to implement as an option... especially important if you're driving bigger vehicles with trailers, etc.

There's a particularly interesting little bug (ok, not really a bug) that happens near where I live... the main highway has a parallel road through a town.. both have a 50kph speed limit, but the GPS must calculate the parallel road to be about 2 feet shorter in distance and it tells you to take it...

Rx7man, Dec 22, 2015
Ask a Question