GPS with "Pulses Per Mile" Output

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by scrnchr, Jul 18, 2014.

1. scrnchr

scrnchr

Hello,

I am configuring a speed control for a wakeboat. I plan to slave the servo to a GPS speed signal. The servo requires an input based on a "Pulse Per Mile" (PPM) stream, and can be set to 2k, 4k, 5k or 8k PPM (where k means thousand, e.g. 8k PPM = 8,000 PPM).

Many of the GPS "pucks" I have found provide output in NMEA 0183 data format or GARMIN proprietary format. It appears to me that both of these provide strings of digital parameters, so I doubt the pulsed stream is supported.

I found these:

JEGS 41612 - 4k, 8k, 16k PPM
    Veethree - 8k, 16k PPM
    Quick SYNC GPS Pulse Generator - assuming 8k, 16k PPM
    It appears that the Nordskog GPS speedo is no longer available (?)

I also found the CruzPro SOG1 which converts NMEA to pulse, but it costs as much as the JEGS or Veethree.

I have these questions:

1. Do any of the handheld GPS units provide an 8k PPM pulsed speed output? Then I would have the nav display rather than just the speed.

2. Can anyone point me to an inexpensive digital speedometer display, something like the old Nordskog display? I would like to tie the GPS pulse signal to a display, if no handheld units provide the pulsed output.

scrnchr, Jul 18, 2014
Ask a Question