GPSmap 276C card woes

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by MUCKYMILDRED, Sep 24, 2015.

1. MUCKYMILDRED

MUCKYMILDRED

Hi. We have this oldish but awesome satnav and have recently bought City Navigator Europe NT (European maps that were on the device were wiped a while ago, long story). However, much to our horror, the card is 32MB but the maps are 100x this capacity. Can we overcome this by buying another card and would there be any way of getting an SD card to fit?

Any help would be much appreciated, we are driving to Spain and Portugal next week :eek:. Thank you.

MUCKYMILDRED, Sep 24, 2015
  2. MUCKYMILDRED

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have had a look in the User Manual to determine what sort memory card is fitted to the 276C, but the Manual only refers to it as a 'Data Card', do you know what sort of memory card you have?, current cards include MicroSD, (also called TransFlash), SecureDigital and CompactFlash, but in the past there have also been XD Card, SmartMedia and a few others, it is also possible the Garmin came up with their own type of memory card. If your card doesn't have any of the above names on it would it be possible to photograph it?, or if not measure the card and post the dimensions on the thread, so that I can find out what sort of memory card it is
    EDIT
    It looks like Garmin made their own 'Data Card' for this unit, some of them were 512MB, here is on on Ebay, note that there is a warning that 'Early Units' in the 100 and 200 series wont work with this Data Card :-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-Datacard-512Mb-Data-Card-512-Mb-GPSMAP-Latest-Release-High-Speed-Memory-/280945021390

Note from Ebay Post :-
    IMPORTANT!!! Some of the older 100, 200 series may not be compatible with 512Mb datacards but only with 128Mb or smaller. Please contact garmin tech support to confirm compatibility of your unit with 512 Mb datacard.

However, they do say that 512MB will work with the 276C

BTW

To answer your question, an SD Card is not going to be compatible with this data card

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 25, 2015
  3. MUCKYMILDRED

slime

Hey, I read a while back about people were taking an SD card and soldering in a large, say 1 gig chip into these units. That's what info I'm searching for presently. I have a 478 I use on my dual sport motorcycle..

slime, Dec 13, 2015
  4. MUCKYMILDRED

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have seen DIY Garmin Data cards made using Smart Media (rather than Secure Digital) chips, there is a link to a site below, Please note I have not built this myself, anyone constructing a DIY data card does so at their own risk :-
    http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/garmin-datacard-DIY.html

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 13, 2015
Ask a Question