GPSMAP 440s Safety Shading

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Frank Anthony, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Frank Anthony

Frank Anthony

Is safety shading a standard feature, or does it require a vision card? I don't have a vision card, but at one time on my navigation screen, I saw areas of blue that indicated shallower water. I can't get that back and almost went aground this past weekend. I did a factory reset, and Safety Shading doesn't ever show up in the menu.

Bottom-line, I had that or a similar feature at one time, and now I've lost it. What am I doing wrong? Zoom level? A setting?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Frank Anthony, Jun 28, 2017
  2. Frank Anthony

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Here is some info. on safery shading from the Garmin site :-

The Safety Shading feature is a feature that allows a user to enable contour shading for all depth contours shallower than a user-defined safe depth. This feature is only available on a GPSMAP 3xxx series chartplotter if a newer version (2010 or newer) of BlueChart g2 mapping is used in the device.

Once the BlueChart g2 card is inserted into the device and the device is powered on, follow these instructions to enable the safety shading feature:

1. Press and hold the ADJ MENU button for a few seconds to access the Main Menu
    2. Highlight the Map tab on the left side of the screen
      1. If the Map tab is not visible, keep scrolling down until it appears
    3. Press the Right arrow button one time to highlight the Prefs tab at the top of the screen
    4. Press the Down arrow button five times to highlight the setting for Safety Shading
    5. Press the Enter button
    6. Highlight either option
      • Auto - Automatically shades the charts based on the original paper charts for the area
      • Custom - Allows the user to manually set the depth to which the chart will be shaded
        • NOTE: The maximum depth that can be set is 33 feet
    7. Press the Enter button
    8. If Custom was chosen, use the Up, Down, Left, and Right arrow buttons to change the depth number up to 33 feet
    9. Press the Enter button
    The charts will now be shaded according to the setting. If a custom number is used, the areas of water shallower than the defined depth will be shaded blue.

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 28, 2017
Ask a Question