GPSMAP 65s, custom map issues

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by ebs675, Oct 25, 2020.

1. ebs675

ebs675

Hey All:

So I just purchased the GPSMAP 65s and have come across a major issue in its design, at least in my opinion. Its pretty much a deal breaker, for me, that I wanted to pass on. This has to do with importing custom maps onto the device. After doing so, there is no option to disable them (i.e. turn them off from being displayed). This means that if a custom map is put on the device, no other maps will be visible unless and until the custom map is removed from the device.

I contacted Garmin support and they confirmed this to be the case. The workflow they gave me is that I should just put the custom map on its own SD card and then just remove the card if I want to disable the map and see other maps. This is a very poor design and oversite on their part for such an expensive device. The workflow they propose is not practical at all, especially in the field, and is almost laughable.

If you plan to use custom imported maps on this device, please understand this limitation and make sure it is still the right device for you. My other opinions of this device are nothing great. Overall I would give about 3 out of five stars if I were ranking it.

I plan to try and return my device.

ebs675, Oct 25, 2020
  2. ebs675

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The GPSMap65 is obviously a very new product, I'm surprised that Garmin Support didn't say that there will be a software upgrade to fix your problem, it doesn't seem like a feature that will be around for very long, let us hope Garmin is reading this.

Here is page 2 of the 65 user guide

2020-10-26_14.30.04.jpg

I would expect " Map Information" above to do what you need

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 25, 2020
Ask a Question