Hand held recommendation

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Beth, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Beth

Beth

Hi, I'm a land surveyor, and my old Etrex Legend finally died, and I'm looking for a better replacement. I've been researching and researching, and I've ended up in sheer frustration, trying to compare what's out there.

I'm looking for a simple unit. With a topo underlay possible. With a distance tool that STAYS IN FEET and doesn't switch to miles, so I don't have to get my phone out to calculate a deed distance into miles every course. A way point projection feature would be nice too. And lastly, a feature that can tell me the bearing in degrees and a distance from my location to a waypoint.... NOT just a compass that shows the direction I'm walking.

haha, is any of this even possible? Thanks!!!

Beth, Feb 8, 2018
  2. Beth

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would take a look at the Garmin GPSMAP64, this is available for around $200 US, it has a Project Waypoint feature and will 'goto' a waypoint showing distance and baring, the only problem may be feet only, the units I have used usually switch from displaying feet to displaying miles at about 500 feet, the only way to prevent switching is to go Metric (metres / kilometers)

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2018
  3. Beth

Beth

Hi, I just ordered the 64s! I looked the manual, and it appears pretty decent... I can live without the miles to feet thing.... I had looked at Magellans, but the reviews were horrendous, and I'm already comfortable with the Garmin feel. Thanks!

Beth, Feb 9, 2018
  4. Beth

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am also biased towards Garmin (although I haven't received any review / free samples yet :)), you are able to add free to download OpenStreetMaps etc. to Garmin units

The 64s also has a 'real' compass that you will probably find useful, all GPSs display a 'calculated' compass, but this only works when moving, by taking a position and then comparing it to a new position which is for example further North, the 64s has an additional 'electronic' compass that works even when you are standing still

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2018
Ask a Question