Heat Resistant GPS Unit

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by GMAW, Nov 26, 2019.

1. GMAW

GMAW

Hi all, I am seeking a manufacturer that produces a GPS system that can withstand (or is insulated to be able to withstand) extreme heat. Specifically, I am seeking a device that can repeatedly withstand temperatures greater than 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Can anyone provide insight in to whether there is a manufacturer out there with this capability? Thanks!

GMAW, Nov 26, 2019
  2. GMAW

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Maybe a little more detail may help, does the device 'in the heat' need to be :-
    1. A GPS anetenna wired to a remote receiver
    2. A receiver that logs position to a memory card (with no display)
    3. A receiver with no display that sends data to another unit (either wired or wirelessly)
    4. A fully handheld device capable of both displaying in real time and logging position

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 27, 2019
  3. GMAW

GMAW

Hi Nuvi-Nebie. Thank you for responding. I believe that what I need is a receiver with no display that sends data to another unit. Essentially, I need to be able to track the position of items (with an attached receiver) which can be communicated to a centralized monitoring site. Both the item itself and the receiver will be exposed regularly to extreme heat (over 200 degrees F). I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but the terminology associated with GPS is all new to me. Thanks again for taking the time to help!

GMAW, Nov 27, 2019
  4. GMAW

TateStiroh

Hi...Our Garmin unit is useless when it's been sitting in the car, even when it's only 85 out. What happens is it skews your touchscreen inputs. You try to push this button and that button gets pressed instead, and you can't use far left buttons at all. It usually has to cool down for a long time.
    Haven't had any problems with cold, but then it rarely if ever freezes where we live.

TateStiroh, Feb 11, 2020
Ask a Question