Help on selecting the Right handheld GPS

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Bwalton, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bwalton

Bwalton

Looking for a handheld GPS for 1 specific uses, let me tell you first what its Not going to be used for: I am NOT interested in hunting, fishing, hiking, caching, or tromping through the woods......

I do genealogy (family tree stuff) I am looking for a GPS I can use to get a lat/lon reading from headstones in cemeteries, so later when I add the location in the database someone can put the location into their GPS and have it take them to that headstone. So accuracy is the most important thing. To get within 1-3 meters would be great. 3 to 5 I can live with, keep in mind in almost all cases these would be "open sky" places no buildings, trees, mountains etc. Also these would be static readings, not moving around (in fact if I can get a tripod mount for the GPS that would even be better) I have no issue with it setting for 15 or 20 minutes to get the best reading. I have noticed these hand held units tend to be quite small 2, 3 some 4 inch screens, no doubt designed for hiking etc for my use the bigger the better a 6 or 7 inch screen would be great (I don't know if their even made this big).

I know I could get a survey GPS that would get me down to a few centimeters, but I am not interested in spending $5000 bucks on a GPS.........

Keeping in mind my use, and the fact I don't need any of the bells and whistles (camera, compass, altimeter, waterproof, etc etc) what would be my best choice,

Sometimes the base structure is the same across a number of models (accuracy for example) the only difference between a $200.00 unit and a $600.00 unit is the extras which I don't care about.......

Any advise would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Bill

Bwalton, Aug 22, 2014
Ask a Question