Help re screens on garmin 530

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Sarawak, May 28, 2022.

1. Sarawak

Sarawak

Hi everybody.
    I wonder if someone can help me with a screen on my 530.
    On the map page there are two symbols at the bottom of the scren.
    One is like an upturned raindrop and always appears in the same place and never moves.
    Underneath that, on the green band, is an upturned lollipop that flicks out from left hand side, as far as the raindrop, then flicks back again. This continues all ride.
    I've tried the Garmin manual but either an explanation isn't there, or it is well hidden.
    doesanyone know what these two symbols are for, and as I never use them how can I stop them appearing?
    20220528_104043.jpg

Sarawak, May 28, 2022
  2. Sarawak

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think that display is connected to the ClimbPro feature which displays Elevation, Gradiant etc. like this :-

2022-05-28_15.53.21.jpg

I would be trying to remove the second display field on the map page, probably labeled as Elevation, Gradient or ClimbPro by selecting 'Layout and Data Fields' and 'up' / 'down buttons change '2' (data fields) to '1' data field, then select Enter button

2022-05-28_16.17.16.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2022
  3. Sarawak

Sarawak

Thanks. I've found out a bit more.
    The top one is an elevation profile and I've managed to de-activate that; at least I think I have.
    The bottom one is called Virtual Partner. Garmin won't talk about this. It exists and is something to do with your performance against what Garmin think you should be doing. You can't delete it, it is there and is going to stay there. Garmin set the parameters and you cannot adjust them. Nobody seems to like the feature but some geek somewhere in Garminland has decided that it ticks a lot of woke filled diversity boxes. It's useless, but will stay there forever. C'est la vie.

Sarawak, May 28, 2022
  4. Sarawak

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I've found a post from 11 months ago saying it can be turned off here: -
    But it may be the software has been changed since then

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2022
  5. Sarawak

Sarawak

Yes, thank you. That's what I found too. It seemed to work. Proof will come tomorrow when I go out.
    Why, oh why, do Garmin nake things so difficult? Lots of stuff just isn't easily accessible in the manual.

Sarawak, May 28, 2022
  6. Sarawak

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Even more annoying is this entry in the Edge 520 user guide suggesting the feature can be Enable / (Disabled), but this does not appear in the 530 user guide :-

2022-05-28_18.16.45.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2022
  7. Sarawak

Sarawak

Curiouser and curiouser.
    I've followed the hints above, but couldn't find the virtual partner screen.
    Then in a brainwave I selected add a screen, and there it was, already removed.
    I added it back, set my virtual partner's speed to zero (default appears to be 15 mph) and will see what happens tomorrow.
    The screen was disabled but the indicator still appeared. I'm not hopeful but might just get lucky.

Sarawak, May 28, 2022
  8. Sarawak

Sarawak

Success!!!!
    Both these lines and symbols have disappeared. Just what I wanted.
    Makes a surprising difference to the size of the map.
    Why oh why do Garmin make it so difficult to set the screens up?

Anyway, thanks everybody; you've been most helpful.

Sarawak, May 29, 2022
Ask a Question