Help with a better gps experience.

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by kogg, Apr 11, 2019.

1. kogg

kogg

Hi All,

I bought a etrex 10 for my first handheld gps the other week and really like using it while walk in the mountains. But it doesn't have detailed map support for route planning. So I'm looking for a more sophisticated unit. I really like the Garmin 66s or 66st but there seams to be some major hardware/software issues that have not yet been fixed.

I would stick with the etrex 10 if there were some free software that would help making routes easier and quicker. I have easyygps, but there are no maps, tried the other advanced version and its all online stuff. Is there any good software out there?

Is there a way to view etrex tracks in google maps? I can't seem to do that and it would be useful.

What hand held gps under £400 is worth the money?

kogg, Apr 11, 2019
  2. kogg

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Garmin GPSmsp 64 is the predecessor to the 66, it has similar features, is well established and cheaper.

You can generate Routes, Tracks etc. with Garmin Basecamp which is free to download, you can install free Open Street Maps onto your computer for use with Basecamp and download parts of the maps to any garmin unit that is suitable

Note:- If you don't have the same map in Basecamp and on your GPS you will have to generate a Track not a Route, see the link above for definitions

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 12, 2019
  3. kogg

kogg

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the 64, its a nice system and I've come close to making a purchase.

However, my love for the etrex 10 has returned. One problem I came across the other day was I could not view tracks on google earth, but I have that problem fixed by converting the track to a route in BaseCamp.

Why the gps manufactures have gone down the route of creating several different types of GPX file is lunacy. Fundamentally we have a weypoint, then a route and a track, but logically they are all the same thing. A route and track are simply a number of weypoints. But Garmin have made each file format different - WHY?

kogg, Apr 13, 2019
  4. kogg

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Did you read the Routes, Tracks definition link in post #2?, a Route is a future trip and can be changed by 'routing' programs, a Track path was taken in the past and can't be changed

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 13, 2019
  5. kogg

kogg

Yes already knew those differences, I was referring to the actual xml data in the gpx file. Would have been nice had they made the xml track data same as the route xml data.

I have noticed though that Tracks are more accurately measured by the GPS than routes from a map and that route data is only measured off the maps to seven or eight decimal places where the Track data are given to ten decimal places. So tracks (track data) are much more accurate than route data, well worth keeping hold of the Tracks.

I'm very very happy with my eTrex 10 now, I found out how to create much larger and accurate routes in a fraction of the time. I can now convert tracks to routes so I can view them in Google Earth and much more.

From this day forward I will be walking my routes and collecting my Tracks.

kogg, Apr 13, 2019
Ask a Question