High-accuracy GNSS receivers that don't cost arm + leg?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by peteybaby, Mar 30, 2018.

1. peteybaby

peteybaby

Hello, just joined the forum to ask this question. Sorry if it's been asked before but I didn't see anything quite right when I did a search...

I'm using a Garmin Montana 650, and I've been getting increasingly frustrated by the inaccuracy of the tracks it records. e.g. if I go out for a walk/hike, and follow the exact same route out and back, the two tracks are often many metres apart, or they have lots of jumps and bends even if I was walking in a straight line, etc. This is important to me because I create a map of my recorded tracks, and when several trails intersect, or come near to each other, the inaccuracy on the map is annoying and confusing.

I understand the system's limitations, but I'm wondering if there are high-accuracy GNSS receivers out there. Surveyors use them but they're super expensive. Is there anything available for recreational users?

I looked into those devices that pair with a smartphone via Bluetooth, like the Garmin GLO, and Bad Elf and Dual products, but I'm not sure if I want to carry 3 devices around with me when I go on a hike (smartphone, Bluetooth device, AND the Montana (to have my trail map)). Plus, the more accurate ones are a few thousand bucks (Trimble R1, etc).

Would upgrading to a unit that tracks both GPS and GLONASS satellites help much? e.g. the Montana 610? The Montana 650 tracks only GPS.

I've also just read a few articles online about upcoming new GNSS technologies that should give sub-meter accuracy for the mass market, but I don't know if there are any recreational devices coming down the pipe using those technologies.

peteybaby, Mar 30, 2018
  2. peteybaby

peteybaby

Oh, forgot to mention... I used to use a Garmin 60CSx, and I'm wondering if that unit was more accurate because of the different type of antenna. I don't remember being frustrated with the 60CSx's track recordings, but maybe I've just forgotten.

peteybaby, Mar 30, 2018
  3. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Having 2 (or more*) sets of satellites will help with accuracy and loss of continuous track data to some degree because the unit has a much bigger selection of satellites to choose from that will be in a better position in the sky, however I couldn't guarantee that it will stop multiple tracks being drawn while traveling the same path.

The best hope for the 'New GNSS Technology' I have seen is the new Broadcom dual band chip, (See link HERE), I have been checking the tech news recently looking for product names and release dates, but up to now, I haven't found any

* There are units currently available that work with full global constellations including GPS (USA), Glonass (Russia), Beidou (China) and Galileo (Europe) as well as regional systems such as NavIC (India only) and QZSS (Japan only), the new Broadcom chip will work on all 5 satellite constallations with L1 and L5 where available

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 30, 2018
  4. peteybaby

peteybaby

Thanks very much!

peteybaby, Apr 2, 2018
  5. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

That's OK, to answer your question about to 60CSx's antenna, it probably had an advantage over antennas on units that used the same 'GPS' only receivers, but I would say newer units that 'see' multiple satellite constellations and have better sensitivity receives are a bigger leap forward, I have smartphones with no 'visible' antenna at all that out perform my GPSMap60Cx

Just to illustrate your point, here are a collection of GPS traces from OpenStreetMap showing a crossroads near to me, you can see the 5 metre scale in the lower left corner
    2018-04-03_10.50.09.jpg
    Click image for more detail

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 3, 2018
  6. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 19, 2019
Ask a Question