How do I clear/delete waypoints from etrex legend HCx?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by bj nickGPS, Jan 8, 2024.

1. bj nickGPS

bj nickGPS

Can't seem to figure out how to do this. I have a few recent waypoints I'd like to keep, but DOZENS from the past that I'd love to delete. The newer ones are easily replaceable so I'd consider a total reset. Looked it up online, can't find out how. Welcome any help with this.

bj nickGPS, Jan 8, 2024
  2. bj nickGPS

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

2024-01-10_12.53.23.jpg
    There is probably a 'Delete All' option also, maybe Find >> Waypoints >> Menu >> Delete All ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 10, 2024
  3. bj nickGPS

bj nickGPS

Yeah, unfortunately there is no "Delete All" function....at least not where I could find it. You have to go to
    Find-->Waypoints, then it just shows them in a long list (almost a thousand of them!) I don't have it in me to sit there and repeat the Delete procedure hundreds of times.....if I can't find any Delete All function, as I say, I'd settle for a full reset.

bj nickGPS, Jan 11, 2024
  4. bj nickGPS

bj nickGPS

Okay....I found that Garmin offers phone support, and the tech person worked with me on the issue for quite some time- we connected via Base Camp, and ultimately discovered that there is no way to just selectively delete multiple waypoints....you have to go "Delete all Symbols," and that's that. Fairly brute force way of accomplishing this, but since there were only a half dozen waypoints I'm losing that I actually want to keep, and I can easily recreate them- it's fine. I'm guessing that newer GPS models would most likely have much more flexibility....regardless, it's fine; mission accomplished. And...if someone would please explain how to mark this "Solved," I'll be happy to do so.

bj nickGPS, Jan 11, 2024
  5. bj nickGPS

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The "symbols" are only used by Waypoints and refer to the icons that Waypoints use on screen, so "Delete all Symbols" IS delete all Waypoints, you could have given the half dozen Waypoints you wanted to keep a different symbol (icon picture) eg. a pin and then you could have deleted the other symbols leaving the 'pin' Waypoints on the Etrex

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 11, 2024
    bj nickGPS likes this.
  6. bj nickGPS

bj nickGPS

Thank you, it's a learning process so good to know. I've used only the most basic functions.....Find/Mark waypoints, etc. Since I only really need these functions, that's fine. Can you let me know how to mark "Solved"?

bj nickGPS, Jan 12, 2024
  7. bj nickGPS

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Anyone reading this thread can see that it has been solved, I would rather not change the title of the thread because that would make the original 'link' invalid

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 12, 2024
  8. bj nickGPS

bj nickGPS

That's fine, I'm new to this forum and just want to follow established protocol so it's easier on all involved (especially hard-working moderators!) Other forums I've been on will snipe at someone who doesn't mark "solved."

bj nickGPS, Jan 13, 2024
Ask a Question