How do I improve the GPS signal strength for my CF31

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by GPSuser, Nov 23, 2015.

1. GPSuser

GPSuser

The GPS antenna on a CF31 Toughbook (shown in green in the attached image) is found on the back of the laptop display screen. We use the Toughbook's build in GPS capabilities out on a small boat (open - no cabin). On a calm day, the GPS signal is great. On a rough day, sometimes we loose the GPS signal. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the GPS signal strength so we don't loose the signal on a rough water day?

Attached Files:

GPSuser, Nov 23, 2015
  2. GPSuser

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It the Toughbook doesn't have an external GPS antenna connector, your options are a bit limited, the built-in antenna needs to be able to present the biggest footprint to the sky, so if that green object in your picture is the antenna, I would guess you would get the best signal when the lid of the Toughbook is closed, but that does make looking at the screen a bit difficult. If you have any software on the Toughbook that displays GPS satellite signal strength, you could do some tests with the lid open (i.e. normal for viewing) and with it horizontal (difficult to view). If the signal figures are better with the lid closed, I would keep it like that most of the time and just open the Toughbook for viewing. It is possible that they use the edge of the 'green object', so the strongest signal is obtained when the lid is open anyway, in which case, the only way to increase the signal would be to have an active external antenna feeding the built-in one

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 23, 2015
  3. GPSuser

GPSuser

Makes sense. Thanks. I agree that an external would be best and that the best signal is probably achieved when the lid is closed. Since the lid would have to be opened to view the screen - I wonder if there was another option? Maybe there is a way to get a better signal while the lid is opened. Is there a thin bar-like antenna that could use to replace the 'green' board antenna currently in the CF31 and maybe place it on the top edge (thin edge of the LCD display)?

GPSuser, Nov 23, 2015
  4. GPSuser

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have just found this YouTube Video, showing how to install a GPS module on a CF30, link here :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mYyjh7a7r8
    Does your CF31 have this corner block for the antenna ?

upload_2015-11-23_23-50-15.jpeg

I think this antenna is designed to get maximum signal when the lid is open

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 23, 2015
Ask a Question