How long will Garmin provide lifetime map update?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Simon Jackson, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Simon Jackson

Simon Jackson

I am in the process of buying a new Sat Nav and thinking to buy a Garmin Nuvi, however i was wondering how long Garmin provides map updates? There is an old article back from 2011 with the forums, however i wanted to know if its still relevant. Do Garmin really provide updates for the lifetime of the device or does the device stop working after a couple of years like apple does with its Ipads where the device cannot handle the software updates?

Simon Jackson, Feb 26, 2017
  2. Simon Jackson

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is a good question and one that has lots of speculation around it, I have only been getting free map updates for my Nuvi 56LM for about 18 months or so not much help. I haven’t yet found anything on the net saying that Garmin have terminated a lifetime agreement, if anyone has any info. On this please let us know.

There have been reports of older units not having enough memory to house the new bigger maps, but for units with microSD slots that isn’t really a problem

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 27, 2017
  3. Simon Jackson

Simon Jackson

Thank you for all the advice.

I was looking at a couple of reviews of the the Garmin DriveSmart 60 and the Garmin DriveSmart 70 however the general feeling from the two reviews is that the 7 inch model is too large for your average car. Has anyone got a 7inch Garmin? is it really too big? I think a 7-inch model would be great, but after reading reviews I am a little worried that its now going to be too big for my car.

Simon Jackson, Feb 28, 2017
  4. Simon Jackson

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It is down to personal preference but, I would say a 7 inch sat nav is more suited to a vehicle where the user sits further away from the windscreen, e.g. a truck or other heavy goods vehicle, in most cars the unit is fairly close to the user

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 1, 2017
  5. Simon Jackson

Lynn McClure

I had a 5" Nuvi I had to replace because it was stolen. I replaced it with the 50LMT but upgraded to the 60LMT. I like the size of the 6" much better... I think a 7" would be too large.

Lynn McClure, Mar 27, 2017
  6. Simon Jackson

Rocktman

I've had a Nuvi 255w over 8 years. It didn't come with lifetime maps, but I bought lifetime maps in 2012. It's still updating my 255w (or would if the USB port wasn't broken now). My next GPS will come with lifetime maps. BTW, my last few map updates had to be installed on a SD card. Not enough memory in the unit.

Rocktman, Jun 7, 2017
Ask a Question