How to achieve sub-meter accuracy in remote locations?

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Stalemate, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Stalemate

Stalemate

Activity: Create 3D reconstructions of geological outcrops. Using imagery from a DJI Phantom 4, and SfM-MVS algorithms. To orientate the SfM-MVS reconstruction I will use ground control points (GCPs). I require sub-meter accuracy to measure these GCPs.

Areas: Remote, places with no mobile or RTK networks. First project will be in southwest Tibet.

Question 1: Is a SBAS solution the best way to go (I do not need cm accuracy)?

Question 2: How can I find out the coverage of SBAS, India has GAGAN, does that cover Tibet? China also has SNAS, but is that functional? Where can I confirm the coverage before I find out in the field that I am not within range? Are there commercial SBAS that I can pay for that cover Tibet?

Question 3: What receiver do I look for? I believe that the Arrow 200 GNSS and the SXblue II+ GNSS receivers will do what I want? The Bad Elf GNSS Surveyor and Juniper Systems Geode are much cheaper, can they also work in Tibet?

Question 4: Is there a better (cheaper) solution that I am unaware of?

Question 5: How can I check if there is a RTK network available before I arrive to the field?

I appreciate any help.

Stalemate, Jun 25, 2019
  2. Stalemate

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would say that a dual/multi band receiver like the Arrow 200 (L1+L2) or Arrow Gold (L1+L2+L5) will contribute to sub-metre accuracy much more than the ability to receive an SBAS signal on a single band (L1 only) receiver like the SXblue II+

Dual band (L1+L5) receivers are also built into some smartphones, see link (Click HERE)

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Stalemate

Stalemate

Thanks for the info, the GPSTest is great, amazing to get dual band in phones. Will have to upgrade my s7.

Stalemate, Jun 26, 2019
Ask a Question