How to correct conflicting GPS/location data?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Adze Lee, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

Hi all,
    Probably a random thing to ask here, but does anybody know how I would correct GPS data to a location? I have a house in rural Portugal, if I use the locate me function whilst using any map, it can only get near, at times villages away, all maps have trouble finding you. All the postcodes in this street are conflicting because of this I think.
    So if I try editing the map, my edits don't get approved, I assume this because my edits are conflicting with GPS results.
    It's a mess, so my question is, is there a central database where this can be corrected?
    Tia

Adze Lee, Jan 26, 2023
  2. Adze Lee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You don't say what device you are using that has a GPS receiver in it or what software program / App. you are using to display your position on a map, if your GPS receiver supplies Latitude / Longitude data you can enter this data into Google Earth or Google Maps to verify your position

Post code data is not accurate and should not be used, you would need to prove that your measurements are correct and that the map you are trying to correct is wrong

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 26, 2023
    Adze Lee likes this.
  3. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

Hi, I wasn't sure if I was in a good place to ask this, hence the lack of detail.
    This is using different maps on android 10 smartphones and windows laptops W10 ( google maps, windows maps, herewego maps )
    I would describe this as a blackspot, I've been trying to correct it for a good few years.
    I can understand that all these different maps do their own thing, & I can only correct one at a time, but they all seem to get their data from a central database? So when I try to change something, the edits are not accepted.
    If I am in my house, from all the maps I've tried " your location can not be found etc ". Or it ( blue dot ) will jump around, miles away at times.
    You can search, and get very near, but not this house. On Google maps, you can see the building, but my number is jumped, the only house in the street with no number on the roof.
    It is really messy, I think over the years, different data has been inputted, most of it wrong.
    Postcodes? yes, exactly, Google maps think this street is a code, but the people living in it are using another. And if you dig into the official list of codes, they conflict.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Adze Lee, Jan 26, 2023
  4. Adze Lee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK so install an App on your smartphone like GPS Test by Chartcross

gps-test.jpg
    Then display your current location like this :-

Screenshot_20230126-152428.jpg

Now type this as a search in Google Earth like this :-

Google.jpg

Does this zoom in on the correct area ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 26, 2023
    Adze Lee likes this.
  5. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

Nice app,
    So, no, tested twice, definitely to your instructions. Using the app GPS I could only get about eighty to one hundred kilometres away. Using the locate me button on Google earth got me about ten kilometres away, & the blue dot had that big wide light blue area, which I read was when the GPS was uncertain.
    Thanks for helping.

Adze Lee, Jan 26, 2023
  6. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

Update: I was checking the app and took the 4 hours free upgrade test. I saved the location, looked at the detail, inputted the coordinates & voila, Google earth had me pinpointed to about a meter. That's progress.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Adze Lee, Jan 26, 2023
  7. Adze Lee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm not quite sure what changed from the 80 km to the 1m reading but 1 meter accuracy is as good as it gets

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 26, 2023
  8. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

It's hard to explain how messed up it is.
    I think that the app's save my location cracked it & found exactly the right spot. I don't know what changed, exactly the same format was searched, just slightly different coordinates.
    That is very useful as now I can be confident to make sure deliveries have that info.
    I attempted again to get Google maps to accept the edit, but it won't. Still pending, your suggestion is in review, & like my other attempts, that's the way it will stay. & actually, it would not accept that pinpoint, I had to move the location slightly for the submit button to go live.
    I can imagine how unlikely what I'm saying appears as fact, I'm sure it seems like user error, or some other confusion. I still think it's likely this is some sort of blackspot or bad data that needs correcting.
    Yes, 1 meter is very impressive, I'm sitting about a meter from the door, which is what Google earth zoomed in on.
    Thanks again for your input.

Adze Lee, Jan 27, 2023
  9. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

I am aware that it must seem illogical, what I'm describing.
    But suppose, me using the app. The first 2 times, I manually entered the data as you suggested, it was done correctly. And as I said, the results of Google Earth search only got me about 80 km away.
    I tried using the locate me button on Google Earth, the blue dot, which I hadn't used before. That got me about 10 km away.
    After, I'm having a look around the app, I see "save my location", a locked function but a free trial available.
    I then saved the location that way, and then I inputted the new saved coordinates into GE, and that was the perfect result. 1 meter from my seat.
    I'm thinking that is my true coordinates, just now how to clean up the mess that has built up over the years on maps & databases.

Adze Lee, Jan 29, 2023
  10. Adze Lee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

So the 'Save My Location' co-ordinates are different to the ones shown in your current location (post #4 above) ?, when I do this both Sets of Lat / Long figures are the same, as you would expect

Yes it is your true coordinate, when you are using these 'true coordinates' is there still a maps / database mess to be fixed ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 29, 2023
  11. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

Oh yes.
    So, with those coordinates, I go to Google edit the map, "correct the wrong pin location or address."
    I input the street address, but the submit button stays greyed out, it won't go live. Then through trial and error, I realise if I move the pin slightly, the submit button goes live. I submit the edit.
    But the same as each method I have tried, the edit stays at status pending, and your edit is in review. & I will hear no more from Google. I have added a personal message asking for contact, but I assume this is all, if not mostly, applied by AI or some auto system. It also has the title No such place exists.
    That of course is just Google, even the fire service burn location map is messed up.

Adze Lee, Jan 29, 2023
  12. Adze Lee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you can get a set of 'true coordinates' and view them in Google Earth where it shows an image that is only 1 meter from your current location, then I can't see what needs correcting, it is already correct

If the 'true coordinates' are correct but an address search is incorrect then that is a postcode error and as I said in post #2, postecodes can be very unreliable and should not be used, Google Earth won't be able to correct a postcode error that was generated by another authority

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 29, 2023
  13. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

I hear you, it's so mixed up that I wouldn't expect it to be clear to anyone else.
    Your assistance has actually been beneficial, those coordinates from the app are a solid start to clearing this up. And they should also help Improve deliveries.
    In my work, I often get an address & or a postcode, most times the sat nav is very good, but some addresses are like this, you can only get close-ish, & the GPS will jump around.
    When you chat with the client, they will always say, " yes we have a problem, and we've tried to fix it and can't. " I believe that this is the sort of reason why this situation arises.

Adze Lee, Jan 29, 2023
  14. Adze Lee

Adze Lee

btw yes, as to post 4, it is indeed strange. If I move some streets away, or in town, then my location works really well, impressive in fact.
    I have been trying to get referred to the Google Maps Team, in that forum, to converse with someone who has access to that database. & hope they see sense.
    Cheers.

Adze Lee, Jan 29, 2023
Ask a Question