How to open Garmin GPS 76 case

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by kadir othman, Mar 11, 2017.

1. kadir othman

kadir othman

Hi guys...I want to replace the screen of my GPS 76.Can anyone help? I have already removed the eight screws and the rubber "belt" around the casing. And that's it. Everything looks so air tight. I have tried to split it open with a knife but nothing seemed to move,

kadir othman, Mar 11, 2017
  2. kadir othman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin units that are waterproof usually have silicon rubber sealant holding the two halves together, this 'rubber' does not set solid, it is possible to prize the two halves apart.

In order to make the unit waterproof again, it will be necessary to re-apply more rubber sealant when you put it back together

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 11, 2017
    kadir othman likes this.
  3. kadir othman

kadir othman

Thank you very much. But how do you prise the case..it is so tightly sealed?

kadir othman, Mar 12, 2017
  4. kadir othman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It helps to know the shape of the moldings, (I haven't opened a GPSMAP76), the last unit I opened had a shape like this:-

2017-03-12_14.27.46.jpg

In this picture I used a blade to lever the two halves apart, pleare note your 76 may be a different shape

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 12, 2017
  5. kadir othman

kadir othman

Thank you. It is so tight I am scared it may break or damage the case. Anyway I shall try again.

kadir othman, Mar 13, 2017
Ask a Question