How to update Garmin nuvi-1350 (???)

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by slipkid, Feb 23, 2022.

1. slipkid

slipkid

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1350 that came with "lifetime updates" that I bought about 10-12 years ago.

Originally I updated it using Garmin Express but I did not like that application since it installed itself as a memory resident app starting up on bootup without telling me it was going to do that etc, also in that it took something like 6 hours to do updates.

Thanks to another GPS forum which sadly no longer exists I learned about a program called GarminMapupdater which I found worked great and did not do any unwanted stealth installs. So I removed all traces of Garmin Express from my PC and have used the Gmapupdater from then on.

Last time I used the updater was about 4-5 years ago. Now I need to update again since am going on a trip but find that it no longer works (gives message of being unable to contact the server). I assume that Garmin has phased it out (?).

What are my options to update my nuvi now?

Is Garmin Express my only option (assuming versions of it now will even run on my old PC)?

And of course does Garmin even still support this device?

Thanks for any help.

slipkid, Feb 23, 2022
  2. slipkid

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin Mapupdater is no longer supported and has been reported as no longer working, it is possible to stop Garmin Express from running in the background, but if you don't want to keep it on your computer simply uninstall it after you have downloaded the maps you want

I would suggest you install Garmin Express connect your 1350 and use the 'Download to Computer Only' option, this way you can use the 'Install Map' option in Garmin Basecamp, this will give you a lot more control over where the maps are stored on the 1350 and show you how much free space you have etc

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 23, 2022
    slipkid likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid

Thanks very much. Guess I will try that route.

I do have some very dumb followup questions, since has been a decade since I used GarminExpress.

- I will google GarminExpress and try to find it that way, assuming it is ez to find & install, except that this PC is old & running XP. Is there a version of GE out there that will run/install on XP (like the one I used so many years ago?) or did they drop that (I would not be surprised Garmin dropped XP support but that there might be a version that runs on XP out there somewhere if I look hard enough).

- I've never heard of Garmin Basecamp b4 coming to this forum & reading some posts. I will have to learn how to use that/how to get it etc. Any hints where this program is documented/described/etc?

- I picked up a 36 gb smartcard that I was going to try to use with the Garmin (last time I updated the Garmin it would only fit a limited # of maps). Is there a documented procedure somewhere about how to use GE and GB, best ways to get the maps installed (I think that would be to have GE put them on my harddrive then GB lets me select how to then put them on the Garmin?).

Again, thx for the response above...

slipkid, Feb 23, 2022
  4. slipkid

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You don't need to find Express or Basecamp, I have provided links (in Blue) in my post #2 above, however I don't think that that the Express offered in that link works on XP, If you try to run it on XP you get an 'incompatible' message and suggestion to download Garmin Map Updater, I am not familiar with this program, also beware of downloading Express for XP from allxpsoft.com Virus Total reports that it is full of viruses

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 23, 2022
    slipkid likes this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid

OK thanks. I had no idea that the words in blue were links.

Am investigating all that now.

Sounds like I'm screwed though as far as Express goes (trying to find one that works with XP etc - at this point think I will even try contacting Garmin).

Thanks for the Basecamp link which shows where to get legacy versions of that program although even that may be tricky, as far as requiring updated versions of .NET, windows media player (something I don't use/don't even want)....sigh.......have my work cut out for me and only 2 days now with time off to try to figure all this out b4 leaving for a trip...thx again....

slipkid, Feb 27, 2022
  6. slipkid

slipkid

Actually doing more research on this, it appears that to use a PC with XP to update my nuvi the only way is to use GarminMapUpdater. Which no longer works. So I'm screwed until someday (with no plans in the immediate future) that I can buy a new PC.

slipkid, Feb 27, 2022
Ask a Question