If you have a Magellan GPS model9600-LM

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by JohnB, Jun 21, 2017.

1. JohnB

JohnB

Just purchased a gps 9600-LM less than a week ago and already have problems.
    If you have this model, can you tell me which map version you have? I am told by one of the Magellan support people that it should be version 63 and another says 68. Someone is not telling the thruth.
    I am trying to updates the map and cannot AND support people(s) (4 of them) are useless. Talked to 4 individuals and 2 of them, once tired of my asking questions simply tell me to wait for their email with complete intructions to update maps and hang up. Those instructions simply did not work.

To all who are looking to buy a GPS, go to GARMIN or TOMTOM. Do yourself a favor...Disregard Magellan.

JohnB

JohnB, Jun 21, 2017
  2. JohnB

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

JohnB : Could you add any further requests on this topic to this thread, there is no point in raising a new thread on the same subject

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 23, 2017
  3. JohnB

albert

I recently upgraded three older Magellans, one Roadmate and two Maestros.

When upgrading most of the road navigation products (I'm uncertain about handhelds). Magellan now wants you to use their SmartGPS > Eco http://www.magellangps.com/contentmanager (to ensure your device is running the latest software).

Any Magellan device you already have registered with Magellan or have plugged into the PC's USB port will show once you login to Smart-GPS via a Magellan account.

The SmartGPS web-based app should list any upgrades for your Magellan device(s) you already have registered or connected via usb.

The Smart-GPS webpage application should indicate whether you can "Purchase" or "Update" software (firmware) or maps for a particular device from SmartGPS either registered with Magellan or usb connected.

However when I clicked to Upgrade or Puchase it led me to other webpages where I wasn't able to download or purchase anything.

I can't remember all the details precisely but at some point in time I was eventually prompted to download and install their "Content Manager" which essentially does the same thing as the SmartGPS webpage which I wasn't actually able to download or install any updates from. Perhaps their still working on it's development in order to replace their "Content Manager"?

I know this all this is probably boring but it's important to know a few things about Magellan upgrade procedures their Content Manager software at least when installed on my Vista x64 PC ran very very slow. It took me an entire afternoon into evening to upgrade three Magellan gps veh. nav units.

It took over 30 mins for their Content Manager to list three updates for one Maestro connected via usb. In their list of upgrades it listed an update to their Content Manager. Which had to be downloaded and installed before upgrading the devices software and/or maps.

Once downloaded and installed it took at least another 30 mins for the Content Manager to list the remaining upgrades. Each of one that took more than 30 mins each to download and install. From what I can remember, took at least 30 mins to list update, at least another 30 mins to download and another ~30 mins. to install.

I spent the entire afternoon and part of an evening upgrading three Magellans.

My Internet connection is fairly normal and don't normally have any problems downloading, viewing streaming video, etc. So I think it may be Magellan servers are really slow and/or something is wrong with their Content Manager. It's installed on my Vista x64 machine which is an older OS but works ok with most all 32 and 64 bit applications.

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=88&nav=0,2

There are various versions of "Content Manager" as I an older version didn't work correctly and I needed to update the "Content Manager" three times before it would work correctly.

At least when installed on my Vista machine it's very slow and a pita.

Any way to upgrade first go to SmartGPS > Eco http://www.magellangps.com/contentmanager . If you don't already have a Magellan account create one.

I previously had registered all my Magellan gps devices with my Magellan account by manually entering each device's serial number, purchase date, place of purchase, etc. Then from my account a link showed up that listed list any registered devices. If you don't have place of purchase just choose "gift" from the pull-down menu and purchase date would be left to your discretion.

SmartGPS will either read this list or read the device you have connected via usb and then register it automatically.

This is important your device and serial number is registered as Magellan offers no downloads or updates for unregistered devices. It's required you're logged into your Magellan account in order to update and/or registered a device.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    albert, Oct 4, 2017
Ask a Question