Install seperate GPS at all user locations or a central GPS for Time distribution ??

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by chandradeo, Aug 16, 2019.

1. chandradeo

chandradeo

Hi all I am working on GPS Time receiving and transmitting. I have 20 users spread over an area of 50 km. I need to provide time to all users for time stamping the data. I have two options. 1. I can install separate GPS receiver at all locations or 2. I have a central GPS receiver and distribute the GPS time to all location via communication links. Can anyone suggest me which approach will provide better time accuracy to users.

chandradeo, Aug 16, 2019
  2. chandradeo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You don't say what kind of time accuracy you require, is 1 second OK?, or are you looking for mili-micro-nano second accuracy?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 17, 2019
  3. chandradeo

chandradeo

Sir I want microsecond accuracy

chandradeo, Aug 19, 2019
  4. chandradeo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Do you have the means to supply micro-second accuracy to the 20 useres via "a central GPS receiver and a communications link"?, if not you don't have a choice, you would have to go with a separate GPS receiver at each location

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 20, 2019
  5. chandradeo

chandradeo

Yes I have communication link. I have installed a central GPS receiver which gives nano second accuracy. Can you please explain why the central GPS receiver idea is better than giving separate to every one. If separate GPS receiver is given to everyone then will their microsecond accuracy vary withing 20- 50 kms ??

chandradeo, Aug 21, 2019
  6. chandradeo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is beginning to sound a bit like problem set by a communications course lecturer.

If you can extract nano second accuracy from the centrally installed GPS receiver, why would you only get micro second accuracy from the GPSs you would supply to every one of the 20 users?, cheaper GPS units perhaps?, if you installed the same nano second GPS unit in all 20 sites you would get nano second accuracy everywhere wouldn't you?

I think this is a question about propagation delay, when sending nano second accurate time from a fixed location to 20 fixed locations it would be possible correct for any propagation delay because it wouldn't vary too much, however, trying to correct for propogation delay from multiple moving satellites (who's distance from each user is constantly changing), may be harder to achieve

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 22, 2019
Ask a Question