IPhone 8 GPS not working in 2006 BMW Z4

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by bullsprg57, Nov 1, 2019.

1. bullsprg57

bullsprg57

New to this thread. Having issues and hoping you have a solution. I have a Z4, using Iphone 8 with both WAZE and Google maps. Neither is working since I got this car. Both either lag terribly or I receive an error message on waze saying "no GPS signal". I have tried in other vehicles without issue. Could it be the BMW windshield? Or is there an electrical signal internally that is interrupting reception? TIA

bullsprg57, Nov 1, 2019
  2. bullsprg57

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Does the Z4 have a heated front windshield?, they are known to cause loss of satellite signals, an electrical signal inside the car is far less likely to be causing problems

Also there are reports of problems with GPS on the IPhone after a recent software update, see this link :- https://appletoolbox.com/gps-issues-iphone-latest-ios-upgrade/

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 1, 2019
  3. bullsprg57

bullsprg57

It does not have heated front windshield. It works in other cars but lags on Google maps and can't find GPS on Waze in this car. Says it is estimating location. I'm using Sprint and have had multiple cars with their tech personnel. I've deleted and reloaded the apps, rebooted phone, etc., etc. I'm going to grab my wife's phone using Verizon and see if I experience same issue.

bullsprg57, Nov 1, 2019
  4. bullsprg57

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It's sounding more and more like an Iphone update problem, the link in post #2 above has this :-

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 1, 2019
  5. bullsprg57

bullsprg57

I don't believe so as it works in other cars.... only the Beemer. Thinking it may be GPS car antenna. Don't know how hard that will be to replace/repair.

bullsprg57, Nov 1, 2019
  6. bullsprg57

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by "GPS car antenna", does the car have another GPS device running in it?, what is this antenna connected to?

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 1, 2019
  7. bullsprg57

bullsprg57

In researching internet, it looks like these cars have an internal antenna located behind dome light. They can go bad. Was news to me as well.

bullsprg57, Nov 3, 2019
  8. bullsprg57

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

But is it a GPS antenna ?, and what is it connected to ?

EDIT
    I will answer my own question, it looks like the Z4 has a built-in satnav with the antenna fitted behind the interiour light panel, see link (Click HERE), the antenna may be fitted even if the Z4 does not have the satnav option, it is possible that the built-in satnav is interfering with the Iphone GPS?

I don't think replacing the built-in GPS antenna will stop any interference, but here is the Ebay anntenna (Click HERE)

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 3, 2019
  9. bullsprg57

bullsprg57

Thanks, I've ordered one to see if it helps. Can't believe that this is not a widespread issue for older model Bimmers with a solution if this doesn't fix the issue. Ideas?

bullsprg57, Nov 3, 2019
  10. bullsprg57

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I can see that replacing the antenna might help with getting a better signal to the built-in satnav, but I can't see it increasing the signal (or reducing any interference) for a stand-alone GPS receiver In a cellphone, you could try disconnecting the built-in GPS antenna if you are not using it

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 3, 2019
Ask a Question