iPhone navigation app recommendation(s)

Discussion in 'Other GPS Devices' started by ramaprem, Sep 19, 2021.

1. ramaprem

ramaprem

I have been a Garmin nuvi user for many years. I have no complaints with the product or the experience while driving.
    I feel, however, to play around with my iPhone's ability to navigate while driving. Because I just want to play around, I don't feel to spend any money on this little playfulness.

I guess that I would like an app that uses downloaded/off-line maps, and one which closely mimics the Garmin experience – with which I have always been comfortable and satisfied. Audible directions would need to be part of the package; I rely heavily on them.
    Can I get a recommendation about which app to use? The pros and cons of the possibilities?

Thanks.

ramaprem, Sep 19, 2021
  2. ramaprem

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Although (as it name suggests) this App. was originally designed for the Android platform OSMAnd (Open Street Maps for Android), does have an ios version, there are free versions for both platforms, has downloadable maps, audidible directions etc and does not require any internet / cellphone connection while navigating :-

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/osmand-maps-travel-navigate/id934850257

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 19, 2021
  3. ramaprem

ramaprem

Thanks. I have downloaded it.
    Any feedback/comparisons regarding Google Maps, MAPS.ME, WAZE?

ramaprem, Sep 19, 2021
  4. ramaprem

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I find OSM maps to be by far the most detailed and up to date, (Maps-Me also uses OSM maps), Waze does have the edge when avoiding congestion and Google requires on-line maps, there used to be a download map option but I think they removed / hid it

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 19, 2021
  5. ramaprem

ramaprem

I have been using MAPS.ME for many years, but only for walking around unfamiliar cities. The OSM maps that they use are certainly the most detailed; I have always appreciated that.
    I'll make MAPS.ME my first playmate.
    Thank you.

ramaprem, Sep 19, 2021
Ask a Question