Is there an easy way to start/stop tracks on the Oregon 550T?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Dr. Strangelove, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

I searched the forum, nothing came up.

I recieved an Oregeon 550T for Christmas this year, I'm updating from a Magellan eXplorist 400 whose keypad died. I'm thrilled with the maps, camera, and touch screen on the Garmin unit, as well as the use of AA batteries.

I use the unit for trout fishing, hunting and hiking. I've figured out how to add custom maps, re-arranged my screen icons for different activity profiles, etc.

The one thing I can't find is an easy way to add a start/stop tracking button on the profiles. I have to go into the setup menu and hit "Do not record track".

I understand the track always on is a kind of failsafe, but I just want to get out of the Jeep, hit a "Tracking on" button and hit "Tracking off" when I return. I don't care what the device wants to name the track. I just don't care to have to go five menus deep to turn on or off tracking.

The problem starts when loading tracks into Garmin Basecamp, it wants to connect the the track to the last point it the unit was turned on, usually my home or a previous outdoors trip. Then I have to manually delete all the extra info, it's really a pain.

First world problem, I know, but it is irritating.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dr. Strangelove, Apr 23, 2013
Ask a Question